The 2011 Time Trial Season

I rode it - using 72" FREE wheel not fixed - and found it possibly better, especially on some of the long descents with a tailwind. I actually stopped pedalling a couple of times when the revs gort verty high and I'm sure I didn't lose any speed.

I did 28.57 which is an improvement on the last one but I'm not sure how much more I can improve on 72". Have I reached my optimum pedalling rate now? I may not improve on this even with a flatter course or less wind.

Most riders went back 2-3 minutes on their previous week's efforts so I'm reasonably happy with my time.

Next event is the Lincoln Wheelers Pre-1980 Bike '25' on the 30th.

Good effort that man. I seem to remember I always did better times in the club MG25 on restricted gears as opposed to 48/18 fixed. That was a bit of a lumpy course so the lower gears uphill might have helped as well as Tony's theory about the downhill bits. Doing a bit of web searching I see Ray Hughes bettered Tony's time and I'm guessing that was on fixed. I used to see Ray every day on my way to work BITD but thankfully he was always going in the opposite direction! He once rode our club hill climb "on the big ring because I couldn't get it on the little one" and still blew us all away.

Looking at the Medium Gear League for this year I see you are in a top ten position for the year. Keep it going!

Mark.

daccordimark":3gg5wo1u said:
Good effort that man. I seem to remember I always did better times in the club MG25 on restricted gears as opposed to 48/18 fixed. That was a bit of a lumpy course so the lower gears uphill might have helped as well as Tony's theory about the downhill bits. Doing a bit of web searching I see Ray Hughes bettered Tony's time and I'm guessing that was on fixed. I used to see Ray every day on my way to work BITD but thankfully he was always going in the opposite direction! He once rode our club hill climb "on the big ring because I couldn't get it on the little one" and still blew us all away.

Looking at the Medium Gear League for this year I see you are in a top ten position for the year. Keep it going!

Mark.

So are a lot of people Mark! It's not to difficult with only a few riders in each event. You need to get 4 rides in the count overall. Next one is the Yorkshire CF on the evening of May 10 and then the 15 a bit later.

Old Ned":vyfova9y said:
Next event is the Lincoln Wheelers Pre-1980 Bike '25' on the 30th.

I entered it and was due to ride today but I've picked up a nasty rotten cold and cattarh (?spelling?) in my head and chest and felt absolutely ghastly this morning so decided not to go. Got the bike ready and clothes packed etc. but decided that riding it would probably do more harm than good. Very disappointed as I've been looking forward to it but rather safe than sorry.

Next event is the Yorkshire CF 72" gear 10 on Tuesday 10th May.

Just got back from the YCF 10 (72" gear) near Wetherby. The course uses a stretch of the A168 which is the old A1 and part of the famous 'Boro' course. However, it's nowhere near as fast as it used to be!

And neither am I :oops:

I did 29.48 which considering I've not touched the bike for 2 weeks due to having this awful bug isn't to bad. I wasn't slowest - by 8 seconds - which actually lost me the £10 prize for the 'Lanterne Rouge'!

One more 72" event to go to get me on the final 'league table' with 4 counting events ridden. Then it's back to heaving a big gear on a lo-pro - or at least, a gear larger than 72" ;)

get in mate..

Are you doing any of the otley triangle evening series at all?

I want to get along to a few

losidan":3gpb7fi5 said:
get in mate..

Are you doing any of the otley triangle evening series at all?

I want to get along to a few
Cheers for the encouragement. Otley triangle is the wrong side of Leeds for me. If I do ride any mid-week club events they will be the Calder ones on a Wednesday or possibly a Yorkshire summer cyclo-cross on alternate Wednesdays.

Now entered Doncaster Whs 25 on the 29th at Hatfield. Must be mad, 25 miles non-stop!

This coming Saturday riding a 10 on the V718 near Brough (the Hull one) which - on a good day - is a fast course. I just hope I'm up to it following my nasty bug infection. :evil:

I pulled out of the Hull city on the V718 last night..bad back.

Not many events open to me on there, unless I join a YCF club.

Flapjack-70 said:
I pulled out of the Hull city on the V718 last night..bad back.

Sorry to hear about your back - I know all about them! Perhaps your position is a bit to 'fierce'!

Regarding V718, I usually get a few rides a season on there and Retrobike isn't a Yorkshire club although I have joined the local VTTA in past seasons as second claim but not bothered this year (so far!). It also depends on your PB. Some riders are falling into the awkward situation of being to slow for ordinary opens and to fast for limit ones. Plenty of 'discussion' on the TT Forum about this!

Back