Oldschool but still in production

Zardoz31

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Hi crew,

Just imagine that NOS or second hand parts, bikes and frames are no longer available (All white porcupines worn out, all Fat Chance rusted to death :twisted:,...)

What would you choose from the current production in order to start or complete a retro project?

For example: Power Grips Pedal Straps are still in production (yeah buddy), so I will choose this stuff (items still in production for years and years)

Other example: in order to have almost the same look as silver Mavic 117 sup rims, I will choose the current silver Mavic XM 719 rims (a retro like replacement)

These situations may be an everyday headache/pleasure for a retrobuilder.

So what would you choose??? :?: :?:

King headset, obviously!
Thompson seatpost and stem (CNC is retrotastic) or a nice Nitto set up
Onza porcs are currently being produced (only black though)
Phil wood BB and hubs
Speedplay pedals (almost the same as they were BITD)
Brooks saddle (can't get more retro than the swallow - titanium and leather: it was the template for the flite)
Odi attacks are still out there I think
Seven Titanium custom Ti bars
Chris Bell or Actiontec chainrings
Actiontec cassette
Pauls thumbie mounts
Pauls brakes and levers
Race face cranks (see thompson, above)
Custom frame: Roberts or any of many bearded builders in the UK, Steve Potts Ti frame and type two forks for the rich american
Clarks cables
Rohloff chain

Just missing the mechs...

(edit) just realised that you can't use an RF crank with a phil wood BB so change that for a Stronglight crank (think they still make a square taper triple - it's a rebadged Sugino Impact IIRC)

I agree Pete, I think that custom steel frames can be the first choice for a retroproject.

A real problem for the mech.

I know someone in France that has already produced a complete CNC rear mech.

Hassle and pain I think, but a wonderfull mech.

The bummer thing is I will not be able to build a satisfactory complete bike. One reason for going vintage still.

Concerning ODI attacks, I always though that I've bought some NOS on Ebay. In fact still in production.

Good news.

And what about suspension fork?

I think this is really hard to find something new that looks retro.

Not found at this time.

Maybe a simple suspended custom fork, from the garage?

Mmmmmhhh, a little bit hard, but not impossible.

Why go suspension when you can have this made for you:

fork.jpg

http://www.stevepottsbicycles.com/type2.php

even nicer than the Fat Chance BOI (and I own a BOI!)

[/img]

Back