Help with identifying/dating a Carlton and a Dawes

lae

Retro Guru
First up is a Carlton which I picked up this morning. The seller says it's a Carlton Corsair built with 531 - I don't really know anything about Carltons so some confirmation would be nice! The fork crown and frame number (mostly illegible but it starts with a 'W') give it away as a Raleigh-built bike whatever it is. I'm not sure of the seatpost size I've not removed it yet (given it a soaking in Plus Gas in a pre-emption of it being stuck in there). This is going to be my new commuter/trainer/light tourer type bike and it has a 63cm frame.

dsc00561mv.jpg

dsc00562uy.jpg

dsc00563d.jpg

dsc00564qs.jpg

dsc00565fw.jpg

dsc00566kc.jpg

dsc00567vs.jpg

dsc00568zl.jpg

dsc00569e.jpg

Next up is my Dawes which I use as a commuter. I know it's a Dawes because it has Dawes written all over it and on almost every component too. You can see why I need a larger frame! The seatpost on this is 25.6mm - it originally came with a chromed steel seatpost, a Brooks B5N, a Cyclo-Benelux 5sp derailer with Dawes branded shifter, a Tornade frame pump and a Miller bottle dynamo set. It also has little covers on the brake levers (which I have removed because I find them uncomfortable). I have also found some Dawes-branded handlebars to go on it at some point. The pedals have nice 'Wanderlust' clips and had Brooks straps (but these unfortunately broke). I have all the old parts in boxes somewhere so I can return it to original when I sell it. My guess is that it's from the early 1960s, but I have no idea what model it is.

dsc00570d.jpg

dsc00571da.jpg

dsc00572nh.jpg

dsc00573ys.jpg

dsc00574xa.jpg

dsc00575y.jpg

dsc00576x.jpg

dsc00577vz.jpg

dsc00578sx.jpg

dsc00579x.jpg

dsc00580c.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The rear rack mounts, fork crown design, none wrap over seat stay and half chromed forks all look right for a Corsair. Has it been resprayed? I've never seen a Corsair that wasn't metallic bronze. I think all Corsairs had at least 531 main tubes.

Yeah it's metallic bronze underneath the nasty green respray. If it fits me and I like the ride, it'll probably get a quick powdercoat (shoot me!) and some decals to smarten it up - I don't think it's worth the cost of sending it to Bob Jackson or Argos!

Bought a fair bit of kit from Dave.

Sadly a lot of his NOS stuff is expensive. Top notch though.

They certainly are expensive!

Anyone got a model name or date for the Dawes? It'll be going up for sale in a few months so it'd be nice to know.

I had a corsair in metallic bronze/coffee the 531 tubing transfer stated 531 butted tubes forks and stays it came fitted with an early Blackburn rack with solid alloy fixingstays which fitted the frame perfectly, my forks were bent so I replaced them with another 531 pair...it was a joy to ride which I did for two or so years in the Peak District before selling it to a French guy, I 'd defo have another if A it was 21" and B there was more room in the sheds oh and C if was in the original and preferably mint coffe cream colour it's just so 70's!

Back