2006 orange five - advice please

Agree with all the above. I had an '06 5 (flat top tube) from new and loved it. It never gave me a moments trouble and is now bringing a smile to my friend's face (giant-one). I changed it last year for a second hand '09 5AM that is also superb.

The Manitou shock gave good service but the Fox RP23 on my AM is noticably better. From memory the '07 was similar to the '06 except for the bent top tube. The angles slackened for '08 and went even slacker for '09.

Price depends on the spec. Rockshox would point towards the 'S' model. If this is the case it'll be worth a fair bit less then the Pro, AM or SE as the rest of the kit won't be top end. If it is a 2007 S I'd not want to pay more then about £700. I'd add another £100/200 to that if it's a higher spec.

i haven't had time to pick it up yet so i'm going for it tomorrow.pricewise, all i'm saying is that it's way under £500,not even £400 :D so i'm not really expecting xtr.i'm just hoping for a good base to upgrade in the future,as long as the frame is fine and it's got a few decent bits 'n' bobs then it's coming home to sausage towers :D

just a quick update after all the good advice i received on here (thanks again).well i snaffled the bike up and it's now in the sausage stables but i was in two minds whether to bother,it was caked (couldn't even see the writing on either mechs,crank arms or brakes :evil: ) in months old mud,i've never seen a bike in such a state - i couldn't even scrape it off with my finger nail.old shape frame,no bent top tube but after the positive comments i'm not that fussed about that.
after a good half day cleaning it,a lot of muc off and elbow grease it's still an ugly bugger but after a few upgrades i think i'm going to enjoy this bike.the rs revelations are a surprisingly excellent fork,i had a little ride and was very impressed with them.
the paintwork is a bit shabby and i'm thinking about stripping it down and treating it to a new paintjob (still recovering from a broken foot so it's going to be a while before any off road action) and some upgrade bling.
anyway,that's the plan - whether it happens is another thing :D
thanks again,mick

Nice.

I upgraded a few bits on mine (but I did already have Fox forks and Hope brakes). Chris King headset, Race Face carbon bars and seat post, and a shorter Thomson stem.

Best of all some yellow spoked Spinergy Xyclone disc wheels. . .mmm. :LOL:

I found the frame excellent and just those few bits shaved a nice wedge of weight and improved steering.

Get some good UK tyres and you'll have a superb single track weapon.

Why not send it back to Orange for a re-paint. Costs £200 which sounds steep but you get the bearings replaced, a new metal head badge and a full set of decals. That's what I'm planning to do at some point ;)

I've upgraded parts over time on mine and now it's running nearly a full XTR groupo! Also have most of the parts from the factory upgrade but paid full price for them individually :roll:

Back