WTD: Canon EF-S 18-55mm Lens to fit 400D

geezer

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi All,

I'm a total beginner to DSLRs and just bought a Canon Eos 400D body so need a lens.

I've been advised that I need a Canon EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AF lens

Anybody got one for sale?

Let me know.

Thanks

Try to make sure you get the 18-55mm with IS (Image Stabilisation) the non-is model isn't that great
Plenty of other options available, the Sigma 17-70mm is pretty good and the Tamron 17-50mm always gets excellent reviews, just make sure you get one with a Canon mount

Thanks for the advise(I need it :) )

I've just been over to AVForums and yep there are a few there, just looking at a cheap one for now but will deffo go for an I S.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

I have a non-IS one - from my 350D - had pretty low usage as I prefer my 50F1.8 and Sigma 17-70 - latter replaced the 18-55 as it doesn't have a rotating front element. Which makes use of square slot-in filters much easier.

Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks guys, I managed to pick up an 18-55 IS lens (£57) from the AV forums, so sorted for now, but just reading up on the subject so I'm sure I'll probably end up buying more when I know what I'm doing.

Bensherman":gd17r11n said:
If you do get a 18-55 IS lens then make sure you step down to f8 -f11 as that's the lens sweet spot ;)

I have no idea what that means :? care to explain please, I am learning though, I just joined the talkphotography site and have been going through the posts.

I have a feeling this photography lark is going to take over, my camera and lens haven't even been delivered yet and I'm already looking at newer better cameras to upgrade to :roll:

Hints and tips appreciated.

Thanks again

Try here for some basic intro: http://www.photoradar.com/category/techniques/basic-photography-skills?page=1

But in basic terms...

The aperture (Fnumber / F-Stop) "controls" one aspect of how much light enters the camera - smaller the number, the more light. It also affects how much appears to be in focus, the bigger the number the greater the depth of field (more appears in focus).

All lenses have an aperture that gives optimum optical performance, generally this is around F8 - F11.

The other factor that controls how much light enters the camera is shutter speed - faster shutter speed less light.

You can achieve the same exposure with different combinations of shutter speed and aperture. On your 400D, put it in P mode (Program) focus, and then move the control wheel by the shutter release back and forth. The exposure will be maintained but the aperture and shutter speed will change. The guides in the link above will start to explain the benefits of adjusting these away from the initial value. Using the other modes M, Av, Tv will make more sense once you get to grips with the basics.

TedC":2mnyzqlz said:
Try here for some basic intro: http://www.photoradar.com/category/techniques/basic-photography-skills?page=1

But in basic terms...

The aperture (Fnumber / F-Stop) "controls" one aspect of how much light enters the camera - smaller the number, the more light. It also affects how much appears to be in focus, the bigger the number the greater the depth of field (more appears in focus).

All lenses have an aperture that gives optimum optical performance, generally this is around F8 - F11.

The other factor that controls how much light enters the camera is shutter speed - faster shutter speed less light.

You can achieve the same exposure with different combinations of shutter speed and aperture. On your 400D, put it in P mode (Program) focus, and then move the control wheel by the shutter release back and forth. The exposure will be maintained but the aperture and shutter speed will change. The guides in the link above will start to explain the benefits of adjusting these away from the initial value. Using the other modes M, Av, Tv will make more sense once you get to grips with the basics.

Thanks for that, I think I understand now.

And just had a quick browse of the site you linked, which is excellent, and exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks

Back