Can't believe the price some old frames are going for!

Pilotlight

Retro Newbie
As I said, i was looking on fleabay at the old frames and some are being snapped up for 400 squid and more!!

At this rate my old merckx fixie is worth more than my 'good' carbon fibre!

Prices...

See my prices post.

Cheers, meant to reply to this - clicked the wrong button - doh :oops: !

Roadking.

Presumably this demand is fuelled by the potential to convert to use as fixed gear bikes.
Or, has a whole generation suddenly remembered their childhood dream bikes and decided to fuflil their youthful desires, alla t the same time?!

The internet certainy allows people more opportunities for finding relatively obscure used items of various sorts. Therefore allows re-distribution to (some) good homes.

Agreed on the 'silly' prices sometimes achieved - so much for the internet allowing more 'perfect market knowledge', which I've argued in favour of, in the past.

Hmmm,

David

Quality will be remembered long after the investment is forgotten ~ quote after Mr Charles Rolls. On his cars I do not know, but it certainly applies to many vintage bikes.
4K on a carbon fibre rig with fragile sophisticated tech is a waste of money for my needs. Plus depreciation also doesn't help much making it attractive.

A strength of many of the vintage stuff is that it represents real, honest, pure old world quality, while the world around us is getting more and more virtual, complicated and less easy to grasp.

I put most of the blame on hipsters wanting a steel fixie. They are like vultures on ebay. It's part of the culture now.

I remember about 9-10 years ago on ebay you could pick a nice secondhand lugged Columbus or Reynolds 531 frame for as little as 10 - £15. Not anymore!!

Certainly some of the blame can be layed at the feet of 'hipsters' but perhaps the real reason is, rather ironically is the bikes themselves, which elev12k alludes to. 'Older' steel bikes are just more flexible, versatile and better made.

Nostalgia has a major influence. would 'hipster's (still a rare phenonomemmeomememo!! in the North east!) know a quality frame? I mean a colnago master pui from 1990 going for 600 notes!!

The pricing on the road stuff is on the rise but the same goes for a lot of retro bike stuff. The hipsters doubtlessly have nudged the prices up a liitle. You'll pay strong for a quality steel mtb frame and I doubt many hipsters buy those.

There's also the factor that those framebuilders left in the industry are charging around double for a new 531 frame, compared to a decade or so back.

So the perception to newcomers is that £500 is the starting price for fairly decent steel frame.

the amount of crap that I have thrown out over the years, makes you think, min you it was pretty well knackered by the time I was finished with it. Just wish I had kept the Gazelle frames now. :(

I need to post up a piccy of my old merckx over the weekend.

Back