RetroBIKE general guide to stubborn bottom bracket removal

This worked a treat for me today on an old Orange Clockwork frame, although, I did have to make a 40 mile round trip to my parents place to get some of the tools.

Also big un-respect to my LBS (559 Cycles in Chepstow) who charged my £5 for being unable to get it out.....

legrandefromage":2tuddgqe said:
Note: large moustache not obligatory but does add to the effect.

I'll stop shaving and have another go on my stuck BB... ;)

good tip mate, somehow I never thougt of using a long bolt to fix the tool.

Use LGF's method at our bike workshop and it hasn't failed yet. I use the rivet extractor bolt from my extractor tool to hold the BB removal tool in place - it has the same thread size.

Before slinging old steel frames, chop out a few different lengths of tubing for future lever use. Fit nicely over an 18" breaker bar - which was useful for getting lots of bits free when I used to have Series Landies!

My collection of extension bars comprises of.............
A Brompton seatpost
A 1991 Marin Indian Fire Trail downtube, and
An Overbury oversized 531 downtube from an old Pathfinder or Crossfell.

Bolt the tool in, big spanner, extension and a bit of BFi seems to work for me! :D

Could I just add to this thread Lgf?
I just figured this one out.....
I was trying to remove an old cup and cone BB cup from my Tequesta but every time I tried it it kept slipping. I saw you has bolted the BB tool to the BB, so I did the same with the spanner.
My headset installation tool, basically some threaded bar, repair washers and bolts, was used to clamp the spanner on to stop it slipping of sideways. The spanner was slightly wider than the flats on the BB cup so it worked quite well, as long as I didn't clamp it too hard.
Anyway, I just needed about another foot of leverage and some WD40 and it came off with a loud crack. Lots of rust in there showed it was stuck very firmly.
Picture below shows how I did it.
Hope this helps someone.
f4cb0ad9.jpg

Do I need a longer lever. Hope Ti BB not seen the light of day for 15 years. Come on you beauty.

Attachments

• SDC11695-w800-h600.jpg
    SDC11695-w800-h600.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 2,294
Easy!

I hope LGF doesn't mind me adding to his thread. I used a Pedros BB socket holder tool. These are available from CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=14426

This holds the tool securely in place so you can concentrate on the leverage. It fits regular Shimano BB tools, Hope taper BB tools and I am sure it will fit many others.

14426.jpg

Attachments

• SDC11696-w800-h600.jpg
    SDC11696-w800-h600.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 2,285
  • SDC11697-w800-h600.jpg
    SDC11697-w800-h600.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 2,285
Back