Cross dressing...

BoyBurning":2j1wc1gz said:
However, I am finding it really difficult to build a USA frame with British bits and bobs...

Anyone else find that?

I know that USA manufacturers and frame builders themselves in the day would spec foreign bits (well, Canadian) but how do people feel about using middleburn, pace, goldtec etc on USA frames?

From my Australian perspective the only trouble I'd have is that there's not a lot of choice when it comes to British bits and bobs whereas in the US there were heaps of options many of which weren't particluarly good performance wise.

I have no issues at all putting UK made parts on a US made frame and in some instances they look fantastic ie Hope Ti hubs look just right on just about anything.

In reality I'd say its actually close to impossible to build a period correct bike with period correct parts from one country (ie USA or UK) and thus I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. :cool:

I think I'd be more likely to build up a North American frame with local parts then I would a UK frame. Don't know why. Saying that, I'd probably go British with a Pace frame.

Talking frame and forks is another issue. Certain frames go with specific forks and just look wrong with anything else.

legrandefromage":3oo18awe said:
British/Italian/Japanese?

harry_brown_144.jpg

Lovely quinn there !

brocklanders023":v7fmod8b said:
Talking frame and forks is another issue. Certain frames go with specific forks and just look wrong with anything else.

+1. I originally built up my steel MTB (badged as Cougar but may well be a re-enamelled Marin) with a cheapo Rock Shox offering and it didn't quite suit the frame which was oversized and a couple of rungs up the quality ladder. It now has a Manitou Answer 4 fork which is suitably beefy and complements the frameset nicely; not big in the travel department admittedly although 2.1" tyres help take the sting out of obstacles and potholes too.

David

Back