Cycling wardrobe.

alexp5

Dirt Disciple
Erm... no, not a wardrobe with mad skillz but rather: What 'must-have' items of cycling clothing do you possess?
I'm asking because I'm frankly bewildered at the choices available, so have basically invested in not a lot.
Most of my cycling kit is my running/outdoor kit - base layers, windproof jacket, fleeces and suchlike, but I do have a pair of Orange baggy-ish shorts purchased about 14 years ago from MacClaines in Wolverhampton (now Leisure Lakes) that I really can't bare to be parted from.
Is the high tec fabric modern stuff really that good, or is an Endura MT500 jersey (f'rinstance) just good because Bikeradar or MBR says it is?

Alex.

Outdoor clothing can be as good technically as cycling clothing, it just has a different fit so it might not work as well on a bike as for it's designed purpose.

Endura stuff is good value if you do want cycling clothing. Endura stuff does come up on the 'Athletic' side of sizing, you may need to upsize on some of their range

FWIW i invested in an endura baa baa base layer in about december, and it was worth every penny of the 33 sheets i spent! pulls the sweat away and it dries right off - the mrs hates hand washing it though..... :LOL:

I agree that running and cycling stuff are essentially cross compatible......cycling clothing is designed around you sitting forward rather than standing up hence the longer back panel/shorter front panel.......at this time of year it's easy to sort, when cold a good base layer and extremities ....(fingers/toes/ears).....covered is most important......I have learned not to use cotton clothing as it gets damp and cold.....as a fall back point, crap clothing in poor weather hardens you up and makes a man of you so don't moan and eat your dripping and gruel.......
;)

I've got a Gore windproof top which I swear by. Cut for cycling, pocket on the back and detachable sleeves. I wear it summer and winter and just add a Gore-tex shell or remove arms depending on the weather.

Endura stuff is good as well, but agreed on the sizing, my large 3/4 lengths only fit because of the elasticated waist, and not exactly huge. :?

Another Endura fan here. Tried other brands, came back to Endura. The quality is worth paying that little bit extra .

Funnily enough, the best item of non-cycling specific cycling kit I've bought recently is a Nike Storm-Fit convertible jacket. It's brilliant and cost £36 from Chavs-R-Us, or Sports Direct as it's more commonly known :LOL: .

The thing with running kit, especially jackets, is in my experience they tend to be less 'boil in the bag' than cycling kit. I get a hell of a lot sweatier when running than cycling.

I simply don't see the point in investing in clothing that can't be used for anything else and tend to wear a 'normal' clothes when on the bike.

some useful things i have found may disgust some of you but they work so i don't care!!

sports directs golf section is home to a dunlop short sleeved windcheater, i got mine for about a tenner and they are awesome for the money, warm, wind-proof (ish) and shower proof. great at this time of year when we are between weather types!

decent half-zip fleece tops are worth their weight in gold. i've got a fox one that is windproof which is brilliant for the days when a normal long sleeved t-shirt isn't quite enough.

neoprene shooting gloves are far, far better than any other. warm, dry and leave you nimble enough to do anything you may need to.

alexp5":zyibm7oc said:
Is the high tec fabric modern stuff really that good, or is an Endura MT500 jersey (f'rinstance) just good because Bikeradar or MBR says it is?

Alex.

I've got one of the original MT500 jerseys, the ones with the mesh anti abrasion layer on the sleeves. I've had it for years and years (10+) and it gets used probably two or three times a week.
Still practically as good as new, apart from the reflective logo having worn/washed off. The only thing I don't like about it is that on a (rare) hot day you can't push the sleeves up, but then that would defeat the idea of the anti-abrasion layer - the sleeves would slide up your arms as you slide along the ground.....

Pretty good protection against briars too.

v12jat":3r5nryb0 said:
FWIW i invested in an endura baa baa base layer in about december, and it was worth every penny of the 33 sheets i spent! pulls the sweat away and it dries right off - the mrs hates hand washing it though..... :LOL:

+1 on the baa baa base layer.

I also have a very thin Pearl Izumi shower proof jacket that the arms zip off. Any old shorts, usually 3/4 length, unless I'll be out all day. Then it'll be quality Lycra shorts with chamois, or cycle baggies with Chamois.

That gets me through the whole year riding most days.

If you were to put some of your hard earned into some clothing, I'd go for something made from Marino. It really is worth it. :D

Back