Dating Brooks saddles

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
I've got an old Brooks B17 on one of my bikes.

In the chrome frame it's stamped A79. Does the 79 correspond to 1979? What about the A, does that signify anything?

Edit: have a picture to brighten up the post a bit :)

IMG_6145.JPG

I'm sure that the number represents the year, the B17 I'm selling has A85 stamped into the back plate which fits with the age of the bike it came off. Don't know what the A means though, perhaps they all have an A. Anyone else know?

Brookes.

I don't have the answer but I have a B17 and a B15 on my desk now...B15 was bought new in early 1950s, and a B17 on a Hetchins.

B17 - XUV that's all - oval badge.

B15 - A10 and ZOB1 - oval badge, the O could be a U or V.

I know for certain the B15 was bought new around 1951 (my Dad bought it).

The B17 is an old one but actual date purchased is unknown.

Both have bag loops.

Roadking.

just chucking a spanner in the works ,
this is off my nigel dean cx 89 , "78b" in black with a long plastic badge on it, im pretty sure these are the dating stamps , but my modern b17 special has nothing stamped on it. I wonder if the letter is the colour?
Lee.
IMAG0625.jpg

I was looking at this yesterday evening. Looks like the early saddles used a coding system stamped in the leather, but the code book went walkies and nobody seems to be able to decypher it. From '59 they were stamped in the frame and the number corresponds to the year. Then the more modern ones have a coloured mark in the leather.

So mine is almost certainly from 1979 which would match up to my guess that it was about 30 years old.

Interesting point about the colour. Mine is an A and it's brown, but then I *think* Ned's one he had for sale was black and also an A?

Brookes Dating.

I'll contradict this, my early 1950s B15 is marked on the leather as is my also ancient old B17 (which has been around for as long as I can remember).

The only marks on both frames are patent numbers - it says"patent number"and then the number.

As mentioned before, I know the B15 is early 1950s as my Dad bought it for a tour of the Loire Valley when he left the mililtary (in 1953).

It cannot be later than 1953.

Roadking.

Jonny69":ihamyah7 said:
Interesting point about the colour. Mine is an A and it's brown, but then I *think* Ned's one he had for sale was black and also an A?

Yes, it is. I'll ask around at the Classic Show tomorrow, lots of 'experts' will be there :D

Old Ned":1ff5b13w said:
Jonny69":1ff5b13w said:

Yes, it is. I'll ask around at the Classic Show tomorrow, lots of 'experts' will be there :D

Concensus is that the number is the year and the letter the month so 'A' is January etc.

That's if the saddle has any markings at all.

Got a brooks professional yesterday but I can't find any markings on the frame... is there any other way of dating it?

Back