What tyres are you using?

GTRTS&AVALANCHE":vktnb43q said:
I used to race 1.75 Z Max's BITD and loved them. But, 10 years on I'm clearly a bit bigger and heavier, so don't know whether I'm right to be using 1.8's now.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Not just me then (not that im a Bat Fastard.....just 'larger' than in '91 :oops: :oops: :oops: )

i have a WTBv elociraptor out front, and a continental explorer out back - both have seen better days. i'll replaced them when the weather gets nice enough to ride again

Conti 1.5 x country on the front and Conti 'Edge' 1.9 x country. for the winter. When the summer comes back then not sure what boots. But will be Conti's

Conti Pro 1 on the back and a Crosscountry on the front. Always used to race on Smoke Lite Comps front and rear BITD. Never got on with the Dart.

I've never got on with anything under 1.9 width - forever getting pinch flats. Tend to go 2.2/2.3 up front and 2.1 at the back if anything.

What are the merits of going fat up front and slightly thinner on the rear?
The Avalanche came with a 2.3 Kenda up front and a 2.1 Kenda on the rear. I thought it would be better vice versa, but maybe you can explain otherwise :?

Tean Master & Team Control, the best I've ever tried other that Ground Controls.

What are the merits of going fat up front and slightly thinner on the rear?

from my point of view it's the front end taking the bigger initial shocks so having big up front helped prevent punctures, also found steering better with bigger directional tyre (e.g. Dart) at the front. Suited me anyway, probably not everybody's style.

A wider tyre on the front will not bite into the surface so much, whereas a narrower tyre on the rear will bite giving traction.

Back