Advice required - how not to look a prat on a bike?

The fact that my bike weighs 21lb helps to counter my lack of form on the climb at the moment, and my lack of technical ability in certain situations is softened by the fact that the bike has 'helped me out' of sticky situations a number of times by being better than I am.

If you only ever ride bikes that are beneath your ability, how are you going to improve or cope when you find yourself up against some terrain that you're not confident on?

Well, a glass of red wine and some fine local cheeses and I feel positively relaxed!

orange71":mzmnfgz3 said:
to be honest, I don't think many people will be that discerning to recognise what sort of bike you are on anyway, so I wouldn't worry.

My life, what are you saying, that Joe Public will be unable to spot some finely crafted, old steel when they see it? I am crushed

Corduroyboy":mzmnfgz3 said:
Do you mean to say that in some way you might be undeserving of the bike? I reckon that might be true if you were a 'rich prat' who never used it for the purpose it was designed for. To me the bottom line is that you have paid for the bike, which unless you are rich (not necessarily a prat!) you will have had to work for. So you should feel as though you have 'earned' the bike and are therefore deserving of it. And since you obviously ride (and well if other posts are anything to go by) then that marks you out as a (retro)biker, hence not a prat!
QED - case closed!

I'm loving the way you're putting the case there - not only am I demonstrably not a prat but by jove I DESERVE the bikes I ride. Now if I can only explain this as succinctly to my wife.....

PS People above are being kind about my riding although I'm, not so modest to say that I don't rule on gentle fireroad climbs

Rich prat on a bike better than he is? Reminds me of someone close by a few years ago! Mind you he was still the slowest of the bunch at the wobble! You can't say this post is offensive as the person I'm talking about wrote it. :LOL:

I am going to get 'Paddock Poseur' put on my Pace, then if I am ever seen riding it, no matter how slowly, people will be nicely surprised. ;)

I know what you mean, as I'd be embarrassed to be on a bling-type bike given my lack of any skills, but isn't this a further argument for retro bikes? You often pass an E-Type Jaguar on a motorway, but it doesn't make you think the driver is hopeless - it has such innate cool that he can drive at whatever speed he likes and still look good. Same with you and your classic Merlin I'd guess.

Anyway it doesn't sound as though you've got much to worry about in any case!

Being overbiked is more of a roadie thing - I don't think it's so apparent with mountain biking. You can get round this on your road bike by muttering about "getting a good base in" when someone passes you.

It seems that a few have 'friends' who understand my dilemma. plenty of top advice and I think I'll certainly try the strong alcohol and muttering approach (any resemblance to a gentleman of the street purely accidental)

Back