Singlespeed problems

Cassette cogs are built for easy shifting,. The teeth aren't so tall as SS specific cogs
The rear mech keeps the chain perfectly in line, and nicely tensioned.
If used in an SS setup, the chain needs to be perfectly straight to prevent any funny business - a mm or two out isn't really straight enough.
Velosolo spacers are the best I've found for lining up the cogs. THey can get chainline perfect to within fractions of a mm!

oh and its 16x36

oh i see, i want to get a set of red ones when i can but i have spacers on my bb too so its not a straight cut chainline i guess

so i need a proper cog :(
will look to get one

so a new cog will suffice, or proper alignment with the cassette cog?

id probably be better off getting an ss cog
especially if theyre higher
when i put the chain back on it kind of jammed before it went on with a bit of force :? i presume if its ss cog and as you say hiigher teeth then less likely

and will be used with half link chain when teh rest of the length comes

do i need a tensioner with vertical dropouts??

A proper cog is best. They're pretty cheap, at £7 or so, or I have a couple I won't be using again, going cheap. I may also have some spacers. I'll look in the morning.

i used velosolo spacers and a SS rear cog and have had no chainline issues at all.

well, apart from my tensioners wheel gradually undoing itself then spewing out onto the road, leaving me 3 miles from home with a chain that was so loose it jumped 4 times each crank rotation! but that can't be blamed on the chainline!

i'm in the process of clearing out everything apart from my new project & a spare set of wheels so i have a set of red spacers, my rear cog & a chunky red chain available for a reasonable price if your interested. I was going to keep hold of them until next year for when i get bored and want to build another SS but if your in need i'm sure we can work something out!

Here we go, I have these going spare- a 16T Shimano cog and no-name spacers. They're not VelSolo quality but they do the job. I also have a 17T of similar qualty.
I'll PM you...

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 766
SSStuffff

Ey up,
Ihave a couple of cogs in very good nick, a 16T and a 17T, available for £3 each, posted. I can chuck the spacers in for another £3 if you're interested.
Cheers, Nick

Are you running ss on a full suspension with no type of chain tensioner?

I always thought that was a massive no-no due to the rear end moving about & creating/losing tension.

AdamAsh":1stoowvb said:
Are you running ss on a full suspension with no type of chain tensioner?

I always thought that was a massive no-no due to the rear end moving about & creating/losing tension.

It looks like the swingarm pivots around the BB so it shouldn't cause a problem.

Having said that, Cyfa, from your picture the chain is clearly slack, which combined with the rampy cog is almost certainly your problem.

Back