Singlespeed problems

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so i have been a convert, quite enjoying myself but my thimb is feeling a bit redundant
enjoying myself until i almost died that is!
chain came off
what can i do?
i have put it back on and pulled the wheel back really tight
but now i can feel the chain notching as it goes round
and im scared. :x

You may have pulled it back to tight.

release the tension a little & see if it helps

well at first it wasnt too tight but it came off
now i suspect what you suggest - its too tight

what to do what to do
while i will lossen it off abit, it might come off again and i might die :shock:

Is the rear cog in line with the chainring? You can have quite a bit of slop in the chain, and it won't fall off providing it's straight.

yeah from what i can gather its near as straight
maybe a mm or 2 out if it isnt :? (i.e a spacers width)

What is your set up? Singlespeed specific chainring? Tensioning method? Axle fastening method?

There will be a tight spot and a slack spot in the chain with a singlespeed due to the tolerances in the chainring and sprocket (they're not always perfectly circular)

You want to get it tight(ish) in the tight spot of the chain, if you get it tight in the slack spot it'll be too tight in the tight spot

kaiser":1fcuild9 said:
What is your set up? Singlespeed specific chainring? Tensioning method? Axle fastening method?

e thirteen guide ring
tensioning method is by pulling wheel back and tightening dropout bolts
14042011260.jpg

Andy B":1fcuild9 said:
There will be a tight spot and a slack spot in the chain with a singlespeed due to the tolerances in the chainring and sprocket (they're not always perfectly circular)

You want to get it tight(ish) in the tight spot of the chain, if you get it tight in the slack spot it'll be too tight in the tight spot

how would i tell when im on these spots? im using a cog from a cassette

Back