Replacement derailleur jockey wheel compatibility

Jonny69

Senior Retro Guru
Does anyone know about derailleur jockey wheel compatibility? Will the newer 9/10 speed Shimano jockey wheels fit older Shimano 6 speed derailleurs?

These are probably the ones on there at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-X-JOCKEY-WHEELS ... 0598107736

...but I'd prefer to replace them with some with proper bearings like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BBB-RollerBoys-Jo ... 0554535383

I think I've probably used up my quota of stupid questions today, so thanks for your ongoing patience and help :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I think you'll find that the more modern rear mech jockey cages are slightly narrower, so the answer is basically no, they're probably not compatible. However, you may be able to add a couple of thin washers; I'm not sure about that. It does say that different bushing are supplied, but they may not be wide enough for your mech.

You'd also want to check the diameter of the jockey wheels; some are slightly bigger, which could cause problems with fouling, although I think that's unlikely in this case.

If it were me, I'd be looking at this as a LBS job - take the mech and try them out on the spot. This would also be a good way of getting hold of suitable washers. [/i]

I had a feeling that might be the case. Someone on another forum mentioned that the teeth might be narrower too, because 9/10 speeds use a narrower chain. Noted about the diameter - I spotted they come in different numbers of teeth so this is probably what determines the diameter.

I usually resort to the LBS as a last measure. My local one is a bit pricey and I end up paying way over the odds for stuff that sometimes isn't very good. Could be time for that visit though, especially as I'll be able to take my verniers in and measure some stuff.

Latest posts

Back