fitting breakaway bolts

more pointedly - how the hell do you get it back together? i have it apart, but cant for the life of me get it all back in place - it seems you need three hands!

cce":1ki7r193 said:
more pointedly - how the hell do you get it back together? i have it apart, but cant for the life of me get it all back in place - it seems you need three hands!
i assume you're talking about a rear derailleur hanger bolt?

if so, needle nose pliers, a cup of coffee and some patience.

If my memory serves me right heres how I recently did it...

Hold the mech in a soft jawed vice (or similar... workmate etc... or between your knees if you have thighs of steel). Remove the b-screw from the cap. Assemble spring and cap into position. Hold the 90degree bit that the b-screw screwed in to with some good quality needle nose pliers. Compress spring and twist cap to its final position in one movement. With your other hand slide the c-clip into place. Easy! Well it's far from easy but you'll get there in the end! ;)

Mech bolts

Ok I can do it with my bare hands, being an engineer an having the grip of a python, but the best way is to remove the b spring tension adjuster then grip the outer flange with some decent pliers No not needle nosed wimpy ones, I use a quality 15 inch pipe wrench, but decent clean jawed broad mouthed will do and grip this flange, then twist with a push so the stop flange on the other side clicks in place. Now you must hold the allen bolt and flange in together, while sliding the criclip back in place. It's very easy when U know how, but takes a bit of practice and needs a bit of strength.

I have done it a few times bare handed, always loose a bit of skin and a little blood.

If it M900 you have my deepest sympathy, they are about the hardest.

Stick Legs":2kxop1en said:
If it M900 you have my deepest sympathy, they are about the hardest.
Seconded!!! I did mine M900 this morning in my dressing gown because my SRP bolt from Owen was waiting on the doormat when I got up.... took me nearly an hour but I got there eventually - couldn't be bothered to get dressed and go out to the shed in the cold, dig out a workmate and do it the sensible way.

Fairly simple, just a case of winding the spring up and sliding it down the bold far enough and holding it long enough to get the circlip on without using anything that'll scratch the mech or your nice new anodised breakaway bolt :)

follow up - i managed to get i tin in the end, with a combinationof swearing, a hole in my hand and hitting the dining table. in the actual event, one last attempt AFTER i'd changed to go out made it go.... i guess being relaxed was the key

i have done it a few times , different methods , easiest i found put it all baak together in place take a small screwdriver and place it with the blade against the tension adjuster tab (where the small screw goes in and the shaft against the breakaway bolt , then twist the screwdriver/silver part in in anti clockwise direction , if the mech is held in something , you can then apply the pressure downwards with your other hand once it locks in , keep the pressure on with the screwdriver hand and slide the retaining clip on

make sense ?

i use the vise method also---i have one on my work bench with a big groove ground into it to slide the old bolt out while holding it all together--and its STILL not that easy---ironically, i picked up a large stick while riding and bent the der hanger pretty bad because the "breakaway" bolt never broke--i musta got a defective one

Back