Kona's page

explosif 2

thought i would add this to the "thread"..colour might be a bit"radical" for some.. ;)

Ernie

Attachments

• explosif 2 001.jpg
    explosif 2 001.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 2,684
  • explosif 2 002.jpg
    explosif 2 002.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 2,684
  • explosif 2 003.jpg
    explosif 2 003.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 2,684
kilauea

this was an ebay purchase, again might be a bit "radical" for some ;), 2 "era" decals..thanks to gil_m :cool:

Ernie ;)

Attachments

• kilauea 003.jpg
    kilauea 003.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 2,676
  • kilauea 001.jpg
    kilauea 001.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 2,676
  • kilauea 005.jpg
    kilauea 005.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 2,671
  • kilauea 002.jpg
    kilauea 002.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 2,676
It has had a clean, and short of a full stripdown & polish of all components, has scrubbed up rather well. (especially the Reaction tyres) :D

5579349401_a554a2c304_b.jpg

5579934094_5c82be5540_b.jpg

5579350201_c2eb940d5c_b.jpg

I've been through all 27 pages of this thread and I'm wondering why there is such a negative thing about "another white Kona".

There seem to be loads more original or varied colour versions here than white and (even though I say so myself having just produced one) I think white just really suits the old Kona steel frame shape.

When done well I think they look like a well thought out bike.

I was wondering as well does the use of white stem from the fact that the original Kona colours are harder to reproduce than those of other companies and so white started as a simple canvas and took hold?

Terry_hill":3cii8zxe said:
I've been through all 27 pages of this thread and I'm wondering why there is such a negative thing about "another white Kona".

There seem to be loads more original or varied colour versions here than white and (even though I say so myself having just produced one) I think white just really suits the old Kona steel frame shape.

When done well I think they look like a well thought out bike.

I was wondering as well does the use of white stem from the fact that the original Kona colours are harder to reproduce than those of other companies and so white started as a simple canvas and took hold?

It is a matter of taste{ look at my three}..some prefer the patina look and some people like me or you like to bring them back to a "new look"..the thing is when you put a picture of your build you leave yourself open to comments be good or bad..enclosed is a "discussion with another well known member and resident kona guru "Anthony"...

***Anthony wrote:
Obviously it's up to the owner what he does with his possessions, but I would say from the point of a retro bike community, doing something that unnecessarily destroys the authenticity of an old frame is regrettable.

From the point of view of an investment, the total cost of buying a frame with decent authentic paint plus getting it repainted and restickered far exceeds the value of what you end up with, so it's a bad investment.

From an aesthetic point of view, I have seen very few repainted Konas that looked anywhere near as good after respraying as they had done before.

And as for Konas repainted white, I know it's easy for me to say as the owner of an original pearlescent white 1995 Kilauea, but surely that's been over-done and there are too many white Konas now? Although admittedly most of them are so badly done, they do make my bike look good so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

***Ernie wrote***Anthony,
this is a very good point. I first got a mountain bike in 1995, i purchased a Marin Nail Trail. I used this for to and from work and at weekends when i had a bit of "me" time.

I also had a very young family who are now are 16 and 18 years. Many of my colleagues of mine had better bikes than i could afford. I also never had chance to ride different bikes like other members on here have had, but i did get chance to ride a couple of kona's..Explosif and Kilauea.

So last year i discovered "RetroBike".. and after some lurking as a guest i joined in March 2010. By being in contact with like minded people i get/got chance to get hold of bikes that i couldnt afford 15+ years ago. I also have the oppotunity to make them "beautiuful" again..with either same or different colourways and then with powder coating which will last longer. Then together with the help of Gil_m i can get the decals replaced.

You mention "investment"..is that what you see on here??.. alot of members buying up frames and selling them on??..people restore sports cars,..retro bikes are cheaper and it keep you fit..once you done it up..you want to ride it
As these bikes have been used/built to be abused and as time goes by the chance of these some being iconic bikes{all makes} gets less and less

Of course i would like for example Kona Explosif 1995.."1 vicar owner..ridden lightly before evensong" ..now the term unicorn/rocking horse sh1t springs to mind here.

I have been spoken too whilst stuck in traffic or recently by a gent about 50ish..whilst on my new Explosif riding my usual "loop" on the Plymtrail taking a "water" stop, he stopped and spoke to me he was on a "holdsworth" racer that was 40 years old.. he commented on my bike and how he owned a "Hei Hei" back in the 90's..after a 10 min chat{and of course promoting the "roadie" side of this site} we both went on our way.

I think its two fold here, by initially riding a bike that fellow cyclist know or admires and sees its has been looked after or restored carries on the "RetroBike" message/good work or what ever you want to call it. Personally i think it goes hand in hand, it either stops these iconic bikes{ALL MAKES} ending up in skips or at the bottom of rivers/canals.

How many of us on here have got work mates..they see your/our bikes..they then say "in my shed/garage i have an old......". It jogs peoples memories
they either get it out and ride it or try and sell it on..hopefully to someone on here to use.

Tell you what would be a good poll...RESPRAY YES OR NO..what do your think???

Anthony thanks for the "art" of disscussion..i have no doubt that i will "pester" /pm you again for advice or help.

Ernie

Crantinope":3w47uufu said:
It has had a clean, and short of a full stripdown & polish of all components, has scrubbed up rather well. (especially the Reaction tyres) :D

5579349401_a554a2c304_b.jpg

5579934094_5c82be5540_b.jpg

5579350201_c2eb940d5c_b.jpg

That is so minty - colour and condition, superb thanks for sharing

Matt

Back