DIY costs

marianne_dreams

Dirt Disciple
Okay,

Apologies if this seems like a really generalist/daft question, I'm just trying to get a rough kinda idea - not sure whether to buy a whole bike as I've seen some frames on their own I really like.

Say I bought a half decent frame (reynolds 531 or similar) and wanted to get it on the road, what sort of cost would the parts run to? I know this is a bit "how long is a piece of string", I'm not after the outcome to be anything super special, just a nice reliable bike that I can use every day to get to and from uni.

I'm sure you could put something roadworthy together for as little as £30. Ebay and Gumtree and the like all have hidden gems, spend a bit on a service, new cables and wotnot and your good to go. A good idea is to find a local bike charity/recycler and see what they can offer, furinstance the one in Glasgow offers adult bikes from £70.

A lot depends on how able you are DIY wise. Generally individual parts run to more than the cost of a bike. For example i purchased a bike mainly for the frame (i kept the chainset too) but the decent parts i sold on actually meant the rest is almost free!

This might be worth a look and is probably more or less ready to go.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-Deep-Red- ... 3f09131468

Doesnt state the size, might just be a smidge too big (guessing its a 57 from the pics), but worth enquiring. Looks in good condition and with a very nice bonus of a decent pair of mavic open 4cd wheels :) Should be a nice lightweight ride. 501 is often overlooked and particularly with those wheels its a nice bike.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thankyou - have messaged for the size - what are the main differences between 501 and 531?

This one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-PEUGEOT-R ... 519wt_1141 appeals to me - although right at the top of my budget and I don't know enough to know whether it's a good buy or best avoided.

I'm fairly technically minded and hands-on but don't have experience of putting a bike together, I'm very willing to learn though.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just checked in the bike shop down my road (ridiculous I didn't even think of it until today) they have a peugeot with a few new bits and pieces on it he'll sell me for £100, think it was HSE Mangalloy(?) which felt pretty heavy, but could always replace the frame later on. Benefits are that I don't have to travel (no car) or pay postage to get it.

Frame is the same as this one (I think) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-FIXED-GEA ... 500wt_1021

the "hle" mangalloy bikes are not lightweight the tubing stickers can be deceptive. i had a nice 501 peugeot ventoux off e bay which was very light
with decent sachs index gears unfortunately the seat post was siezed so moved it on i paid £75 for it look out for peugeot triathlon also
which seem to pop up fairly often. dont mean to put you off but you may be better buying a decent framed bike and upgrading the components as you go . i would make reynolds 501 the mininum if you can find 531 which is lighter that would be a bonus .
either way you would notice a big difference in ride quality etc than a "gas pipe" ie heavier steel frame
good luck with your search

Thanks Bowser, maybe not quite such a good idea then, the excitement of being able to go for a ride this evening was very tempting.

Anyone know anything about the one in the ebay link I posted?

marianne_dreams":el7qb7nm said:
Anyone know anything about the one in the ebay link I posted?

HUGELY overpriced, in my view. It appears to be one of the old HLE frames, which as bowser has pointed out were very basic frames. The bikes sold for less than £200 when they were new! That one's had a lot changed on it,m and the wheels, saddle and bar tape (!) are all higher quality than the OE, but a lot of the bike is still the original basic spec.

For £300 you'd be able to get something definitely worth riding, rather than an ageing (and probably worn out) low-end bike like that. You should be able to get something appreciably better for appreciably less.

hey, thanks, i guessed that one was, i meant this one one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-PEUGEOT- ROAD-RACING-BIKE-LONDON-W10-
FIXIE-/190522453088?
pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item2c5c05ec60#ht_1519wt_1141 :)

Latest posts

Back