Are my Z1 MCRs knackered?

haydnw

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've finally got around to dealing with some Z1 MRC 2001s I've had in the workshop (i.e. shed) for a while. It seems that whatever adjuster or nut should be on the top of the left leg has snapped off at some point.

forks.jpg

I've fitted them to a frame and given them a quick ride up and down the road. They're completely undamped, and hiss out air from the snapped bit every time I compress them. If I turn them upside down they don't leak any oil.

So, are they buggered? Can I fix them? Would it be economical? I've got some MX Pros in the shed as a possible replacement, but the Z1s look so good on the Trailstar, and I've never had a pair before. I'd desperately love to fix them, if anyone has any suggestions. :(

Windwave should be able to advise/sort you out with a new top cap adjuster.

If you know what you need then you can get the bits direct from UKBikestore.

Have bought bits before and not found either option to be too expensive.

Thanks guys - having taken off the top cap again and had another look, it seems that it's not a separate adjuster, it's actually part of the main assembly running down into the leg that's broken off. Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to replace just the top bit. Will have a closer look at the weekend but it doesn't look like the quick fix I was hoping for!

letmetalktomark":3epo3242 said:

Who, apparently, just pop across the road and get them from Windwave anyway, as they're practically next door to each other. That's what the guy I spoke to at UK Bikestore told me anyway.

Andy R":3fzaocos said:
letmetalktomark":3fzaocos said:

Who, apparently, just pop across the road and get them from Windwave anyway, as they're practically next door to each other. That's what the guy I spoke to at UK Bikestore told me anyway.

Told me the same too!

Strangely it can work out cheaper buying it from UKBikestore than it can windwave!

haha thats a strange one!
thats business for you

these companiez may have the whole assembly for you

Back