SKYE: 30th April - 1st May ?

Is this a ride too far away for current finances? It does put the costs right up (£75 petrol for me :shock: )

Other options? Torridon? Glen Etive/Coe? Nevis Range?

Been humming and hawing about this, the camping was putting me off, thought for some reason that we'd be carrying tents on the bikes, so wasn't that keen, but if we're just base camping, then I can put up with a night or two under the canvas...

TK - If you want to keep costs down (I know I do), could car pool with you from Dundee? Can either take my Ka (bikes on the roof) or your Touran.

slig vs glenbrittle

slig

pro's
20 minutes closer
on hand bar/food with more than 200 malts
loop on door step

cons
over priced food
camp under main road to the big smoke portree
no food shops (portree 7 miles up the road)

glenbrittle

pros
campfires
quiet
shop
several smaller trails on hand, most one way climber paths
stunning views

cons
carbost pub (good food, especially seafood) 15min drive (landlord should be able to sort arrange a taxi)
20mins further

wish I wasn't going on holiday, i'm going to go up late may/june

Still up for this but need to confirm with my partner. Google says £70 petrol both ways and 5h ride. How is better, take a boat from Mallaig or drive thru Skye Bridge?

Radoslaw":r35pxrjk said:
Still up for this but need to confirm with my partner. Google says £70 petrol both ways and 5h ride. How is better, take a boat from Mallaig or drive thru Skye Bridge?

We are working on approximately being £35 each way for fuel.

Camping again Radek ;) I've got just the tent for you :LOL: Room for the GF too[tons of room infact]

Touran = bikes in car. I can come down the A9 (extra 1hr30 on journey) to you or you could drive to Perth (or somewhere similar on route) and we could head from there.

I would prefer to head up friday night at least part of the way but if that doesn't work for you that's fine too and early doors it is. (cost more important than convenience)

I'll be bringing my small 4 man tent (the one I had at glentress) which is comfortable for 2 ok for 3, or intimate with 4 (those aren't pillows!)

I'm also going to try and have my bike ready before the ride unlike last weekend :)

Rado Bridge is free - you pay for the ferry.

would recommend the night drive over day

this is motorwayless drive

we always leave after work from lanarkshire and drive up ~5hrs (always catch last orders in slig before heading onto the house)

a drive during the day with traffic on the a82 = 6+ hrs

only done mallaig once, lovely drive particularly on the return voyage. however if you're only up for a short time, suggest pedal to the metal would be faster. the ferry will not run late on friday evening, also check to see if it requires booking if you take this option (probably not at this time of year)

It wouldn't really be a day drive, more a 4.30 in the morning drive - hence my preference for travelling at least part way the night before.

The Ken":qklv9jq8 said:
It wouldn't really be a day drive, more a 4.30 in the morning drive - hence my preference for travelling at least part way the night before.

My pal suggested same thing.A stop over in Tyndrum or Crianlarich ,then the rest of the way the next morning,leaving early .

Back