Helmets

saltyman":khoibh5i said:
Urge Endur-O-Matic and fox racing flux........i cant decide???????

The Urge is comfy as hell but you can build up a bit of heat on long hot climbs.

Just got a giro phase for £35 from the on one sale - seems well made, comfy, fits me well etc

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HEG ... elmet-2011

giro-phase-2009-zoom.jpg

I have a 59.5 head and got the medium (up to 59) and it fits great with room to spare ? :D

WD :D

I've crashed going downhill in Scotland wearing a Giro E2, landed on head and left shoulder.
Cracked my collarbone (in 3 pieces actually) and the lid saved my skull.

Not wearing a helmet on the road is bonkers, there's no end of silly idi#ts out there driving tonnes of steel like there's no tomorrow but I am guilty of it too. Now I don't mean to lecture, but woul like to add some words of common sense (and applied engineering).

Helmets protect you by absorbing crash energy. This is a one way process, once energy is absorbed the capacity is gone. think of it as the crumple zone in your car. SoAfter a crash you ditch the lid, period. To promote good practice most manufacturers offer crash replacement schemes at reduced prices.

And secondly, The plastic in the helmets that does the absorbtion also loses capacity with time. This is not a marketing plot to sell more helmets, Long time ago I used to age plastics in a lab professionally. The solvent that is used in the production of the foam slowly disappears and the foam gets more brittle as a result, reducing the energy it takes to squash it. Without the actual data it is hard to put firm statements in but I ditch any lid after about 5 years, crash or no crash. And I never hand down my used old helmets to my loved ones, nor do I offer used helmets for sale.

Not sure that I have succeeded in not lecturing, but this stuff matters to me.

Enjoy, and be careful out there

PS somewhere in your helmet the manufacturing date is printed or embossed, have you checked it? At least you then know the risk you take.

W W Biffta":1ul3ufji said:
has anyone actually had an accident where a helmet would save you serious damage? all my head injuries have been facial/dental so never bothered with one. thinking of going full face tho, any recomentations? has to be light and well ventilated
(sorry for slight thread hijack)

A young lad near me was knocked off his bike by a deer of all things, knocked unconscious, coma for 4 days, died. A helmet would have saved his life.

Here's something else to think about.

I bought the Fox helmet, above the ear is a strip of plastic that is part of the retention device and carries padding.

On Thursday an experienced MTB coach told me of a close friend who'd fallen off while wearing the same model helmet, the helmet had swivelled slightly on his head during impact and the aforementioned plastic half severed his ear off.

They took pictures (as mates always do in an emergency) and sent them to Fox, with a detailed explanation with what had occurred. Apparently FOX never replied.

:shock: :?

I think at this current time, there is fore and against for helmets. Its hard to make a fully informed choice.

Back