Helmets

I cracked a bone in my neck after landing head down in a spectacular crash. Helmet saved my life docs reckon. Giro Xen came off better than me.

Tazio":250z9gvz said:
BobCatMax":250z9gvz said:
It's the F14, Josh

could well be trials based, lol, i wouldn't know. Wanted something to protect the back of my head, and liked the look of this one.

I looked at this helmet as well for the same reason.

I always felt that with the MET helmet I had before if I'd hit the deck sideways the extended back of the helmet (if that makes sense) could twist my head round and damage my neck. The ones that cup the back of your head seem a bit safer in terms of twisting your head when hitting the ground.

I do feel quite safe in it, if that makes sense.

here for your viewing pleasure is the back of me 'ed..

CIMG0105.jpg

Blue denim shorts, orange bombers roughly in the middle of the pic

you can see how much of your head is protected..

I cracked a bone in my neck after landing head down in a spectacular crash. Helmet saved my life docs reckon. Giro Xen came off better than me.

thats exactly the kind of thing im having trouble imagining, how did you manage it?

And the back of my head. And to test the helmet I even went to the effort of going over the bars about 30 seconds after this photo was taken. :D

IMG_3887.jpg

I've got a Fox Flux, it is the best fitting helmet I have owned and I love it, big vents too, you do get a little wind noise of the straps at speed though.

I picked up a Fox Flux yesterday after wandering into a shop that sold all the helmets I was interested in. While I was strapping them all on and off, a bloke walked in and told me to look at how the 'webbing' was fixed to the shell, the Fox was far more secure than the Giro or 661. It also happened to offer the snuggest fit, so the best of both worlds and hence the winner.

W W Biffta":2ghfa8td said:
has anyone actually had an accident where a helmet would save you serious damage? all my head injuries have been facial/dental so never bothered with one. thinking of going full face tho, any recomentations? has to be light and well ventilated
(sorry for slight thread hijack)

Landed evenly on the top of my shoulder and the side of my head above ear. I thought the crack was was the helmet (it was my collar bone :LOL:) the helmet had a big flat spot (pre hard shell / Lycra cover) but was intact. Specialized replaced it FOC and upgraded it to a hard shell as they didn't do my model anymore :cool: Do they still do that service ?

My mate also messed his giro atmos up getting knocked off on the road. It was just light scratching but it would have made a mess of your head :-( he gave it to me so I flatted the scratches out and it looks pretty good ;-)

Lad I worked with (now works for the same company but our German branch) bought a bike over there and promptly had six stitches - three in his head and three in his elbow - it would have only been three in his elbow if he had bought a helmet to ...

Dads been knocked off (roadie) but helmet and face was unmarked :cool:

WD :D

Speak to the head mechanic at Wheelbase (no pun intended) and ask how a helmet saved his life while he was descending Garburn Pass recently.

W W Biffta":3jvhs31m said:
has anyone actually had an accident where a helmet would save you serious damage? all my head injuries have been facial/dental so never bothered with one.

To be honest, I struggle to be civil with people that don't wear helmets on bikes these days as I've heard so many horror stories associated with people that have had accidents while not wearing them.

Just yesterday I saw a couple taking their child into Grizedale Forest on bikes, they felt it necessary for the child to have a helmet, but not themselves. I wondered how the child would have felt if either its parents fell off and hit their heads hard enough to do serious damage. It doesn't take much.

im guilty of not wearing mine around the streets.......though i do when im offroading.

i need a new one, im still wearing the one i got with my trek back in 1999!

saved my bonce a good few times though :LOL:

Back