Help id late 50's early 60's nervex campy frame

Dayne

Retro Newbie
Hi all Picked this up yesterday with intentions of keeping the stem selling the rest but when i turned up found it's built up with all the goodies.
Campy26.8 seat post
Wright saddle
Campy Gran Sport 5 speed.
Magistroni cottered cranks and Prior pedals.
Cinelli Milano steel bars and badged stem.
Weinmann centre pulls
Weinmann alloy wheels 40/32 tubular 28" with campy hubs.
The frame is straight and solid in great condition and from what i can gather a 1959 model as thats the first of the serial number and has Campagnolo dropouts.
Its a 58.5st ctc and a 60 tt ctc.
this is all i could find on the net http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=341178&search=Bicycles&images=&c=&s=1
P1010835.jpg

P1010836.jpg

P1010837.jpg

P1010838.jpg

P1010839.jpg

P1010840.jpg

P1010842.jpg

P1010843.jpg

P1010844.jpg

P1010845.jpg

I just was looking over the bike again and noticed an A stamped on the seat cluster and grabbed the serial numbers,
59' 3064' D22 E38. After the d22 their is a tiny 2 and after each set of numbers there is a 0 like a degree symbol.
I would love to be anle to id the frame but i know this is often not achievable.
P1010850.jpg

I just was looking over the bike again and noticed an A stamped on the seat cluster and grabbed the serial numbers,
59' 3064' D22 E38. After the d22 their is a tiny 2 and after each set of numbers there is a 0 like a degree symbol.
I would love to be anle to id the frame but i know this is often not achievable.
P1010850.jpg

Dayne":3f0usxk8 said:
Those numbers just refer to the geometry of the bottom bracket shell. 59°30 and 64° are the angles between the down tube and the seat tube, and the seat tube and chainstays. 22.2 is the diameter of the chainstay sockets in mm (equal to 7/8") and 38 is the spacing of the chainstay sockets in mm. Most Nervex shells had this information.

http://www.cykelhobby.com/bilder/bilder ... nervex.jpg

I thought (and wrote above, before editing) that the D is diamètre and E écartement. Having checked, I think it's more likely that the D is a 0 (64°0), and the E may refer to English (i.e. Imperial rather than metric) main tubes.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/co ... ervex.html

Looks late 1950's, odd the long fork rake (must be near 3 inches) and shallow seat angle. If it has crimped chainstays and a nervex welded crown (very strong but few small builders used them) I would think large company product. (look at the rear fork end spigots unfiled). The seat tube inside diameter would suggest plain 531. We sold a lot of Weinmann 11 ounce wood insert rims around then. Should ride well apart from the fork rake.

Doug Inglis

Doug Inglis refurbished a good few frames from what I have been told. I used to live just up the road in Gladesville. A bit after this was refurbished I might add ;)
There was a friend of mine in North Ryde who's dad had one similar but in white. Must admit it was a few years ago now and back then I just thought what a old peice of iron compared to my alloy Giant :oops:
Oh how times have changed :roll:
Looks nice and might be better refurbished once again and ridden like it deserves.
Good luck and keep us updated

Jamie

Thanks thats what i believe, This is a frame possibly form uk or europe and refinished in Australia.
My problem is its far too big for me.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on value as i'm looking at moving it on to finish other projects that are on the go and my size.

Latest posts

Back