fish scale paint job

Paint

As far as I know the Tommasini process is very layered and the actual 'scaling' for want of a better word, is masked with a very fine tape and the top coats of the fading/shading are done with a fine airbrush.
Its a very involved process and the end result shows a classy job.
I had an old article about it somewhere, havnt noticed it around after the last house move but will try and find it.
There must be an easier, more cheating way. I assume if there was no fading/shading then it would be a case of masking over a solid base coat.

Jamie

Paint job

Get in touch with andy perks on this site he does great paint jobs. He is doing my Pantani time trial frame at present.

You would need a primer , then the base colour , then the "scales" (also in 2 pack "basecoat") and decals i guess , then a 2 pack clear for a tough finish. If it was easy everyone would have done it .....

Retinata

My Super Prestige originally had the retinata paint scheme, and I wanted Tommasini to re do it.

Unfortunately, apparently due to what was contained in the original paint, they couldn't do it any more. I'm not saying that it's not possible to do, but Tommasini can't :cry:

Paint finish

Unica said
Unfortunately, apparently due to what was contained in the original paint, they couldn't do it any more
Thats more than likely why you dont see much of it now. Koga Miyata had a finish back in the nineties that was equally classy but apparently the process is environementally unsound and you would not be allowed to use that process today.
jamie

Theres a great series of airbrush videos on youtube, he shows some pretty cool tricks like fake carbon, water droplets all sorts of cool stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvuj46r_aec

It's amazing some of the effects he can do with really random stuff, there was one with clingfilm for a marbled effect.

I suspect it's done with some sort of stencil; perhaps several with the same pattern of holes but each stencil having smaller holes. The sprayer would use a different colour with each stencil.

I doubt a production line would go to the bother of using an airbrush freehand to paint each "scale" individually. Only a boutique framebuilder/sprayer would even consider doing that, and they would charge accordingly.

Anyway, I've never liked the finish.

Back