STI with XT

TheGreenRabbit

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have decided to keep my touring bike, but it is in need of renovation, i am going to run it for the winter befor painting it, and also to give me time to collect the parts I want on it. I currently run bar end shifters (in friction mode, 1 shimano, 1 home made), close ratio 7 speed shimano block with a XT rear mech, LK front tripple chainset and the question is ...

What is the chance of STI shifters working with this mix ?

If you can get an 8 speed STI set, they will work at the rear, the front depends to a huge degree on what age mech you are using, distance between chainrings and about a hundred other variables. Having said that, some "creative" use of the cable clamping bolt to change the leverage ratio at the mech end of things may well get the front working.

As an example, I currently use RX100 8 speed STI shifters pulling an old Shimano 600 7 speed derailleur over an 8 speed cassette and a Shimano LX front derailleur over a Shimano 600 7 speed chainset with no problems at all.

They should work fine with cantilevers - the cable pull for road brakes (single- and dual- pivot) is very close to the cable pull for cantilevers. They don't work well with V-brakes (which require more cable pull) unless you set the brakes VERY close to the rim.

I am running Sora STI 8 over a shimano spaced Sachs Maillard block with a Campagnolo Veloce 9 speed mech (with the cable run on the wrong side of the pinch bolt).

It works. Much to my, and everybody elses, surprise!

Shimano still make 7-speed Sora STIs too, so you could actually get an STI set designed for your bike.

As in another similar thread, which front mech are you using?

You may find that you need to use a shimano road mech with STis if you have a triple chainring setup. It is mostly an issue with 9 speed and up though.

TheGreenRabbit":38lnfyau said:
The other thing is how well do they work with Cantilevers ?

They will be fine with old wider profile Cantis (say pre 1992) but the narrow cantis (low profile) are really dodgy as they require more cable pull. You will need to set them very close to the rim and they won't exactly feel great. V's are a non starter unless you use a V-daptor pulley thing instead of a noodle.

I upgraded my roadie to STI with a set of old RSX shifters from e-bay. Worked perfectly. STI on a road bike is a revelation the first time you use it.

Latest posts

Back