RB Special Event: HoNC 2011 - AFTERMATH

Top day out! Look forward to seeing some of the pics when they are online.

Done more or less every HoNC since 1992 (or 1993) and reckon the conditions this year were amongst the best. The trails were bone dry and the weather a pleasant 20 degrees.

We arrived in Winchcombe at 8:30 to be met by an almost full car park. Quick change and we were ready for the off. After a captivating speech by the chairman of Winchcombe CC the gun went and 1200 riders rolled out through the Cotswold market town. As per every other year the first climb was painfully slow with over a 1000 riders of differing abilities trying to get up the same track. Once this has been bettered the course opened up a little and we were able to make better progess, hot on the heels of Edwards 'The Bear' and Sinnet 'The Cat' or so we thought. Following a couple fo hours riding a mixture of road and off road lunch came round suprisingly quickly, the stop was at 26 miles from 66 - not 100% ideal.

A few other retrobikers were at the cake stop already and Edwards, Sinnet and Del rolled in a little afterwards. Cakes duly dispatched we rolled out to tackle the remainder of the course.

Like a second rate domestique coming to the end of his contract Edwards showed strongly from the feed stop. It couldn't last it would seem and after 15 miles of strong riding Edwards was forced to sit up.

On and on we rode. Managed to stick with 'Fast James' until the climb up the back of Snowshill. A triple combo of foolishly trying to middle ring the climb, a relative lack of condition along with perhaps a little dehydration lead to a cramp. A quick stretch and on again. Caught James over the summit (well, he waited) and on we headed to Winchcombe. Some of the tracks on the home leg had been a mud bath two years earlier - this time they were bone dry and super fast. They were quickly dispatched, was running a semi slick with 60psi in.

Tailed off a little on a couple of the last little drags but finally rolled into the finish a little after 1500.

Tea, cakes and sandwich's were all gratefully received at he finish (cheers Mum!).

Was a little nervous before this years event having ridden very little over the last few months, however I've certainly felt far worse during a HoNC. The good conditions certainly helped and I did think there was more road on the outward leg, be interesting to know if this was accurate or not.

Look forward to next year already, will have to try and arrange a retrobike meet up before the off. Sadly didn't get to see everyone before the start.

As is becoming the norm for me an incident packed weekend, but a really enjoyable one non the less.

Firstly, many thanks to Ededwards and his loverly wife Vinia for my board and lodgings for the weekend. Last year I set off at 5am, rode the 100km route and then drove home to Cumbria. Being just 45 mins away made a real difference to my day. Ed and Vinia are the perfect hosts and made my 220 mile journey so worthwhile. On arrival late Saturday afternoon we rode some of Edwards local trails with Ed's friend Dave and the trails rode fantastic, very similar to the FoD. We kept our powder dry though and promptly returned to the pub.

So onto HoNC. Stunning weather, scenery, bikes and RetroBike friends old and new. The route was very different from the 2 years previous I've ridden the HoNC, but that was a positive change. I decided to ride the ti-mega after much deliberation and I was delighted with the decision as it powered me around to the rest stop some 45km in. There we met yet more RB'ers enjoying an early spot of lunch.

I'm a slow starter after lunch and so gave Valins, Edwards, Fast James, etc, some room as I resettled into my groove. At about the 55km mark I was finding my groove once more and thinking about reeling in my RB compatriots ahead, riding along with JV's mate Jim. Jim and I were stretching our legs along a fast road section, i'm in top gear probably doing close to 30mph and then the loudest bang i've ever heard in peace time. My rear wheel locked instantly, I just kept control of it as I parked the bike into the verge. Looking down I thought i'd blown a tube or perhaps the tyre, but much worse I'd blown the sidewall off the rim and that was game over.

What to do next then? I'm in the middle of the Cotswolds and tbh didn't have a clue where I was. So for the first time that day I got the map out and tried to figure out where I was, I was none the wiser. I decided best bet was was to carry on to the next checkpoint so put the bike on my shoulder and walked on. I soon got bored of this though and so ripped off the damaged part of the rim and stuck the tyre around my neck, the rim was already f*#ked so I might as well ride on it and so I did for the next 5km to the checkpoint. Those passing me could hardly believe their eyes, but the number of people offering help was remarkable and a credit to the event.

Gutted not to have completed the course but never the less I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend. I'll be back next year for more.

Btw, anyone got a Mavic 231CD in 36 hole?

Very upset i missed this event due to the fact that i was in the highlands and the 9hr drive there then 9hrs back would have been madness. But hey looking forward to the dean.

thanks andy

sinnett177":1195zb1q said:
Edwards, Fast James, etc, some room as I resettled into my groove. At about the 55km mark I was finding my groove once more and thinking about reeling in my RB compatriots ahead, riding along with JV's mate Jim. Jim and I were stretching our legs along a fast road section, i'm in top gear probably doing close to 30mph and then the loudest bang i've ever heard in peace time. My rear wheel locked instantly, I just kept control of it as I parked the bike into the verge. Looking down I thought i'd blown a tube or perhaps the tyre, but much worse I'd blown the sidewall off the rim and that was game over.

What to do next then? I'm in the middle of the Cotswolds and tbh didn't have a clue where I was. So for the first time that day I got the map out and tried to figure out where I was, I was none the wiser. I decided best bet was was to carry on to the next checkpoint so put the bike on my shoulder and walked on. I soon got bored of this though and so ripped off the damaged part of the rim and stuck the tyre around my neck, the rim was already f*#ked so I might as well ride on it and so I did for the next 5km to the checkpoint. Those passing me could hardly believe their eyes, but the number of people offering help was remarkable and a credit to the event.

Gutted not to have completed the course but never the less I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend. I'll be back next year for more.

Btw, anyone got a Mavic 231CD in 36 hole?

No way i distroyed a mavic 217 exactly the same way on sunday at honc tore half the side wall off, 10km from the end of the ride was gutted, the loudest bang ive ever heard

that said i had a blinding day was good to see some retro rides out and about

Posted my fastest 50k time for a fair few years but I think that was more down to the fact that the HONC this year was fundamentally a road ride, which was a bit of a disappointment.

The decision to slap some 400g semi slicks on the night before was definately a good one.

Enjoyed my bi-annual chat with the Guvnor before he left me for dust on a climb. I'll get some pics of my G-shock up soon JV :LOL:

Need to thanks CAS' hubby for the post ride chat about motorhomes too.

Back