Tyre trust

cyfa2809

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
was out with a mate today riding in the woods - nothing big nothing special

i didnt bother changing my tyres as its been dry so i thought they would be ok (scwhalbe crazy bobs)
but i kept riding crap (in my opinon) and saying i dont trust my tyres - about 10 ft after we started my front nearly went out from under me
(ground is very leafy-dry, dead leaves but wet under that a bit)

now while im not amazing i will admit - but how much can i actually blame on my tyres
next time i will be using my dirt tyres, specialized resolution which i normally get on ok with
but also last time i went out to haldon, i ran a resolution and a hutchinson spider - i didnt trust my tyres again

my mate was on his big dh bike me on my kona cowan (commuter/street kind of setup), i wasnt to far behind him in places
so, all in my head or what? (scared to crash? :? )
my main problem i guess would be the front wanting to slide out

What tyre pressure are you running them at now?

Have you tried lowering the tyre pressures?

Lower pressure will give more grip

But a greater chance of pinch flats and a little higher rolling resistance

At Thetford today I was Running Conti Explorer Protection. They roll so fast and can trust them 100% when giving it the beans through the singletrack. Run them at 30psi and bottomed out the rear a couple of times over roots. Another rider on Wildgripper semi-slicks washed out the other was on Nobby Nics.

hmm ok
new tyres aret really an option for me at the moment
my mate was running 2.4s though

i think mine are normally around 30psi - theyre big/heavy tyres (crazy bobs)
but i did drop it a bit and it was better but still a bit sketchy

i bought some conti double fighters thinking they would suit a commute and the odd bit of fire track through the woods. WRONG!!! back end kept spinning under load, front end was struggling to stay straight when i got up any sort of speed. for the 5 minutes it takes to swap a couple of tyres over I will only ever use the conti's on the road (in the dry!) in future.

Back