Dura Ace on an MTB

development_cycle

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok guys, I've seen this done before, but is it any good?

I am happy to give it a try unless any one has a really good reason not to. I am only really talking about F&R mechs, no other bits.

Opinions on the back of a postcard to...

I have been running a Dura Ace rear mech on one of my bikes with no problems. It is a very short cage, but I'm running a Middleburn Duo up front.

I have to say though that I have just ditched the Dura Ace mech in favour of XTR.. make of that what you will!

just done some research myself and it looks as though the Dura Ace cannot cope with more than 26 teeth or less than 12 at the back. Even if you wanted to run a road mech on the back the next model down is not all that well adapted (Ultrega) 13, and 28. The 105 however can deal with a 12,28.

Oh well, would still be interested in anyone's experience of doing this.

BITD i used 'Roadie' Suntour on my Trimble with Bullseye hubs. Worked fine. I think it was called Suntour superbe pro or some thing like that. If your like me and only use 2 chain rings then no problem using rodie front mech eccept fitting could be problem with getting the mech low for the mtb smaller chainrings. certainly on my Trimble frame was problematical as the area got fatter near the chan rings, if you know what i mean.
But rear cass. size and rear mech cage also is a possible area of problem - short cage wide cass. teething. Were as road kit is all close ratio.
If you got the time and spare ££ give it a try??

yeah that 26 max teeth thing is a bit of Shimano blurb, I run a 12-28 at the back with a very short cage Dura Ace mesh and it handles it just fine.

development_cycle":3oshg5hr said:
just done some research myself and it looks as though the Dura Ace cannot cope with more than 26 teeth or less than 12 at the back.....The 105 however can deal with a 12,28.

Oh well, would still be interested in anyone's experience of doing this.

Dura-ace runs fine on my Yeti and on my DBR's BITD. Yes you are limited to 12-26 but the shift is better than XTR IMO. More solid anyway. Also refer to Sheldon Brown for cable location on teh mech if not using Dura-ace shifters.

105 will run a 28 but teh pivots will wear out quickly.

I wouldn't recommend a Dura-ace front mech on an MTB.

I found that there was a Dura Ace tripple ring crank with special front mech to go with it, so that sounds interesting. Wouldn't use the crank though, just front mech.

What about the actual mechanism on the front. I would need a top pull mech, and it seems as though most road front mechs are bottom pull, anyone know if there were any top pull's or if I can use a bottom pull on a bike designed for top pull, or am I getting onto really dodgy ground?

Cheers for replies so far.

Tim

Back