Pulstar hub axle bolt thingy problem...

Tallpaul

Gold Trader
My Pulstar rear hub had some play in the axle so i foolishly stripped it down.

On the freehub side, the outer locknut sits flush against the adjustable cone. Unfortunately the cone has no way of being held while the locknut is tightened :roll:

So if i wind the locknut tight, it tightens the cone too tight to the bearings (tighter than a tight thing in tights). If i just nip the locknut up finger tight is there any way it can unwind when secured to the dropouts with the skewer?

The non-drive side of the axle has two nuts so they aren't budging, i can't decide if that's enough? Every other hub i've stripped has had adjustable cones that can be held by a spanner while i tighten the locknut on both sides of the hub, so i've not worried about it.

Are you saying that whel the axle is in the hub there's no way of getting to the cone to hold it in place? If that's the case cn you pull the axle out completely, tighten the cone against the locknut, re-insert it and do all the adjustment from the other side?

mk1Matt":2mnldu6t said:
Are you saying that whel the axle is in the hub there's no way of getting to the cone to hold it in place? If that's the case cn you pull the axle out completely, tighten the cone against the locknut, re-insert it and do all the adjustment from the other side?

Kinda, there's also nothing to hold the cone in place with; it has no slots for a cone spanner so when you tighten down the locknut it turn the cone too. It would bite eventually i guess.

IIRC the Pulstar hub has a sealed bearing under the cone, which should be done tight, and the drive side is cup and cone which you set the tension on.

pulstars i've just sold were normal bearings. make sure the drive side locknuts are nice & tight, then perform the adjustment on the non drive side. yeh they're fairly tight, but they will come loose.

scant":30scojvu said:
make sure the drive side locknuts are nice & tight

How though? There is no way to hold the cone to tighten the 'locknut' against it. What f*cking stupid design! Even the cheapest bolt axle wheels have slotted cones so they can be held by a cone spanner :evil:

Tallpaul":iouy2edv said:
scant":iouy2edv said:
make sure the drive side locknuts are nice & tight

How though? There is no way to hold the cone to tighten the 'locknut' against it. What f*cking stupid design! Even the cheapest bolt axle wheels have slotted cones so they can be held by a cone spanner :evil:

must be different to my old 1s then, they had standard cones each side

Back