STX and STX RC

drystonepaul":3o7g3t5y said:
STX MC30/31 and STX SE (Special Edition) MC30/31-CH first appeared in 1994. Both were 7 speed, with SE having shiney smokey grey surface finish and STX being mostly silver. Essentially though, apart from the front mech they were the same components, just with a different surface colour.

In 1995, STX SE was replaced by STX RC MC33 and ran alongside the slightly lower end but also slightly changed STX MC32. This year STX had the 'Cromica Bronze' surface finish on the hubs, brakes, mechs and outer chainring.
STX RC was silver and had more in the way of 'better quality' variations than STX. ie they no longer shared the same components in different colours.

This continued more or less unchanged in 1996 albiet with minor alterations to both groupset's cranksets, STI units and mechs. STX went to MC34 while STX RC introduced MC36.

In 1997 STX gained seperate rapidfire shifters and brake levers, and lost it's 'Cromica Bronze' finish instead going back to silver.
STX RC however saw several changes including the introduction of the 8 speed MC38 rear hub and MC38 rear mech. These were available alongside the older 7 speed option. There were also seperate shifter pods to accomodate the introduction of V-brake levers and a canti option too making the 1997 STX RC groupset options somewhat large.

In 1998 STX remained as a 7 speed only groupset until it was phased out the following year.
A pared down STX RC groupset got the new 4 arm chainset, was available as 8 speed only and both groupsets shared the new MC40 V-brakes and levers.
Cantis and 7 speed options had been dropped completely.

Both STX and STX RC were phased out at the end of 1999.

There are a few other interesting transitional changes which I could go into, but not everyone finds STX or Shimano M-numbers as interesting as I do...

Top quality Paul.

For what it is worth, I think the STX RC are tidy, and worthy.

:)

for the money that they cost at the time i can't fault the STX range, being a budget based range they were built to last at a negligable (negligable to us poor folks who couldn't/can't afford that XTR bling) weight gain.

as they saying goes "cheap & cheerful" :D

drystonepaul":2mva3zkx said:
STX MC30/31 and STX SE (Special Edition) MC30/31-CH first appeared in 1994. Both were 7 speed, with SE having shiney smokey grey surface finish and STX being mostly silver. Essentially though, apart from the front mech they were the same components, just with a different surface colour.

In 1995, STX SE was replaced by STX RC MC33 and ran alongside the slightly lower end but also slightly changed STX MC32. This year STX had the 'Cromica Bronze' surface finish on the hubs, brakes, mechs and outer chainring.
STX RC was silver and had more in the way of 'better quality' variations than STX. ie they no longer shared the same components in different colours.

This continued more or less unchanged in 1996 albiet with minor alterations to both groupset's cranksets, STI units and mechs. STX went to MC34 while STX RC introduced MC36.

In 1997 STX gained seperate rapidfire shifters and brake levers, and lost it's 'Cromica Bronze' finish instead going back to silver.
STX RC however saw several changes including the introduction of the 8 speed MC38 rear hub and MC38 rear mech. These were available alongside the older 7 speed option. There were also seperate shifter pods to accomodate the introduction of V-brake levers and a canti option too making the 1997 STX RC groupset options somewhat large.

In 1998 STX remained as a 7 speed only groupset until it was phased out the following year.
A pared down STX RC groupset got the new 4 arm chainset, was available as 8 speed only and both groupsets shared the new MC40 V-brakes and levers.
Cantis and 7 speed options had been dropped completely.

Both STX and STX RC were phased out at the end of 1999.

There are a few other interesting transitional changes which I could go into, but not everyone finds STX or Shimano M-numbers as interesting as I do...

Superb stuff! I was going to reply in far less detail last night, but got sidetracked digging out some STX and STX RC parts. They were pretty good to be fair, functional and bombproof. The shifters in particular were (still are) great.

Adjectives that have been used to describe STX and STX RC groupsets on this thread:

drystonepaul:
they are good reliable and dependable groupsets

mikeekim89:
It's very nice :)

highlandsflyer:
I think the STX RC are tidy, and worthy.

Khane:
"cheap & cheerful":D

Drencrom:
functional and bombproof.

Thats pretty good 'feedback' for a low-end groupset and IMO they look good too.

michael franks":2i2lrm2o said:
..........Thats pretty good 'feedback' for a low-end groupset and IMO they look good too.

STX SE and RC were mid-range components occupying the same level as the current Deore equipment. They're only low-end in relation to XTR. ;)

I am sure that my contribution is now not needed but .......

My 1999 Kona Caldera came with a 4 bolt STX RC chainset and a STX RC rear hub labelled as an "8" but running a 9 speed cassette as standard.

I have had the kit since December 1998 and the hub and cranks are still going strong :)

stx rc started off 7 speed mc36, then went to 8 speed mc38

better finish and slightly more use of aluminium on some of the parts, instead of pressed steel

Quality answers. I would say stx-rc was roughly akin to deore or deore lx (from a couple of years back) and definitely superior to alivio (which I would equate to old 200gs or possibly exage). Stx-rc mc33 was definitely 7 speed as that was what was originally on my p7. It was fully 8 speed by mc38 but there might gave been 7 and 8 speed options for mc36 and mc38? If the stx-rc that you have is 7 speed you will not be able to fit a 9 speed cassette.

another STX fan here, I swapped the 8 and 7 speed freehubs & axles on my wheels STX and STX-RC wheels around today for reasons that are too silly to detail.

Back