Polishing help

At home - maybe take it up to 1500's and then finish with a green 3M pad (not all pan cleaners are the same just because they are green !)

By machine - a bead blast (with the correct grade / by someone who knows what there doing) but I guess it would be hard to keep on top of with ally - staining / oxidisation changes etc :?

WD :D

WD Pro":1v8b30z1 said:
1500's or 2000's followed by a good hand polish with megs NXT or similar will do you proud ;-)

When going for a true mirror finish cleanliness is important - wash off well and use a fresh cloth for every stage of polishing, a dirty cloth with bits of 800 grit in it won't do well for buffing off the final polish :-(

a wax?! will that be after using autosol?
also, how to hand buff? i presume using a wax?
will the wax prevent the oxidisation layer slightly? i.e. 'coat' it

Autosol & LOTS & LOTS of elbow grease... followed by a car polish/wax to seal it

From this..

CIMG1326.jpg

to this....

CIMG1422.jpg

CIMG1423.jpg

same predicament :cool:
cheers for the pics
its coming up well after a couple hours with the 1200 grit and then a lil autosol (i did a small patch), almmost like a mirror. just with the scratches :LOL: :cry:

cyfa2809":2w9oyfll said:
WD Pro":2w9oyfll said:
1500's or 2000's followed by a good hand polish with megs NXT or similar will do you proud ;-)

When going for a true mirror finish cleanliness is important - wash off well and use a fresh cloth for every stage of polishing, a dirty cloth with bits of 800 grit in it won't do well for buffing off the final polish :-(

a wax?! will that be after using autosol?
also, how to hand buff? i presume using a wax?
will the wax prevent the oxidisation layer slightly? i.e. 'coat' it

Sorry, should have explained - NXT metal polish in a tub :D it will bead water when done :cool:

The scratches that you are seeing makes me wonder how people quote that they have used a rougher grade than you and got a 'mirror' finish with a quick wipe of autosol ... ? :?

yeah thats true
while the finish is almost mirror - its more like a sheen than a finish though :?

Yes, you are thinking like me and looking for the same kind of finish ... ;-) :LOL:

You can make a rough surface shiney but it doesn't mean it would look good :-(

A guy at work had his car wheels done and from a distance / driving past they looked good - up close you could still see swirls from sanding :-(

It all comes down to how much time (and if you are paying - money) is available to get the job done.

thats right!

still see the swirls on mine, i guess you just go finer and finer till they arent visually there

not sure how far i want to go - obviously at least a bit further than 1200 :?
i have some rip off of brasso wadding - the mrs bought it cheap at the pound shop, not sure what it is as i cant get the tin open just yet :LOL:

I usually start off at 1000 wet&dry then go to 1200 and 1500 if i can find it[not everyone stocks it],then autosol on the finest[0000] steel wool.

My frame was polished already but was looking a bit lackluster i went over it with finest steel wool and autosol and it really came up a treat :D

Unfortunately you cant touch it with bare hands lest you leave finger marks :x :LOL:

Sorry for the double pic
I can't decide which looks better :oops: :LOL:

Attachments

• Polished titanium 002 (Large).jpg
    Polished titanium 002 (Large).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 535
  • Polished titanium 003 (Large).jpg
    Polished titanium 003 (Large).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 535
  • Polished titanium 001 (Large).jpg
    Polished titanium 001 (Large).jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 533
very nice :cool:
mine is done for now til i can afford a finer grit paper and more autosol
its very swirly :?

im also having trouble with the stress marks where the tubes have been formed
im not sure on how far to go with them :?

Back