Low pro frame - anyone recognise it?

GordonB":17rq1f9x said:
Just bought this outrageous piece of vintage steel and I'm building it up gradually into something that I can use in vintage bike time trials - my times are likely to be vintage too, probably best measured with a sundial. Ok, I know it's all wrong at the moment, I need a single ring chainset as it's meant to be run as a 7 speed, there's no brakes on it (who needs them?) and I'm not entirely happy with the bars, they are a touch too low and not quite long enough.

Details of the frame are that it's intended for a 24 inch front and 700c rear, the front appears to be original with an early Hope hub. There is only one gear lever braze on but oddly it has two sets of bottle cage bosses. The frame is likely to be of 531 or similar with a 27.2mm seat tube, but there are no marks anywhere. The seller reckoned it might be an Aende by Pongo Braithwaite, it'd be nice if it was.

Hope someone out there recognises it!

Gordon

That Yellow thing is a sirus based on the lugs they used but a rare one with a 24" front wheel.
This is a poor copycat of the famous Martin Pyne mini bike.

That Red Butler Low Pro is that Mick Ballards as he had one briefly :?:

Nob":2xqjcmpk said:
That Yellow thing is a sirus based on the lugs they used but a rare one with a 24" front wheel.
This is a poor copycat of the famous Martin Pyne mini bike.

I posted details of this bike on the Timetrialling Forum and got the same answer from Nob, which was helpful in that it does seem to identify it as a Sirius, but I'm still curious as to why it is a "poor copycat". This is not an annoyed response, I am genuinely puzzled as the photo I posted surely doesn't give enough info to indicate that it's a poor bike. A copycat I'd agree but it's reasonably light, stiff and rides very well now that I've more or less got it finished - although it's the nature of these things that I'll keep changing bits until I either reach my own limits of improvement or move on to something else.

I've shown the current version below, I rode it like this in my first tt for over 30 years, only 5 miles but great fun with a fine bunch of folks. Results aren't out yet but I understand I did 15:27, which was reasonable for someone of my age (57) and limited experience, considering the very windy conditions and a course that is far from flat. The computer is on it just for me to get some data on how I'm doing, I'll take it off for an event and I took the tri bars off as they were too low and I couldn't get on with them. One of the senior guys at the tt has pointed me towards some tri bars that have risers under the forearm pads to get some height so I might try them. The riding position as it is now is very comfortable, rather like being down on deep drops on my current road bikes. The only gripe is that the shifter is not ideal, I'm not keen on taking a hand off the bars at speed so I'm looking to sort out a bar end shifter that should makes things easier and safer.

Gordon

Attachments

• Low pro 080411.jpg
    Low pro 080411.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 2,209
Check out my thread on the Show Bikes area for the MP project & you will see what I mean.

As long as you enjoy the machine + it's a 24" front wheel I approve :)

But the bike is crying out for a 55 56 or 57 chain ring to make it look right. ;)

Nob":yqj9t7z3 said:
Check out my thread on the Show Bikes area for the MP project & you will see what I mean.

As long as you enjoy the machine + it's a 24" front wheel I approve :)

But the bike is crying out for a 55 56 or 57 chain ring to make it look right. ;)

Fair enough, it's not show quality but it's better than a BSO! You're not the only one who likes the front wheel, the comments I got at the tt ranged from blank astonishment from the younger riders to "fecking awesome!" and " classic, love it, steel at last!" from the older members. Even had some of the lads whipping out their phones to take photos, which pleased me no end. There was a bit of a discussion as to whether or not it fitted with the current CTT rules as no one had turned up at this local event with a low pro for years, but one of the more experienced guys declared it did, there was no rule against small front wheels it was just that they fell out of favour, which was a relief for me.

As for a big chainring, it might make it look right but at the moment it's all this poor old body can do to ride it with a 52 :oops:

Gordon

On this business of a big chainring, I actually quite like the thought of that but the problem I have is that I struggled on the one steepish (well, steep for Suffolk!) hill on the course even down in gear 2 and I almost had to drop to gear 1, which wasn't in my plan at all. I'm in the process of sorting out a new rear wheel as I don't like the look of the Campag hubbed job I've got in there at the moment, it works ok but doesn't match the front. I've located an early NOS Hope 130mm hub that takes a screw on freewheel and I'm looking to have that built onto a nice deep section older style rim. I can then stick with 7 speeds if I like, the current block runs from 12 to 21, perhaps I'll work out what would give me similar gearing but with a bigger chainring.

Gordon

Well as you maybe aware of have 2 Low Pro's Martin Bike & my EG Bates Low pro with all its period gadgets, Modolo Kronos Brakeset, PMP Cranks which I love :cool: Only has a 55 ring as I did all my PB's on this set up.

My original rear wheel was an Ambrosio Durex Aero on FT hub which I think is stored somewhere in my parents house loft. But I have a Ghibli with a 13-17 set up & a special machined spacer to make up the space.

I like it. Looking for a set of 700/650c wheels myself so I can finish up this.

gar3.jpg

Back