1997 PROFLEX 857 - WAY BIG RED

34henry3w

Retro Guru
After years of searching, I finally found the bike I have always wanted: a way big 857! It is 100% original down to the panaracer dusters (still showing the little hairs, reflectors, warning labels...ridiculous.

It is in near NOS condition. It has no signs of having ever been ridden. it has never been dirty or even cleaned. All imperfections appear to be storage scuffs. The lady I bought it from had bought it new for her husband, who never rode it.

This is the rare "Test Ride" model...anyone have any additional info about what these where used for? Factory test rides?

Attachments

• IMG_0929lr2.jpg
    IMG_0929lr2.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 4,033
sweet as! so are you going to ride it, or put it on ice? looks great. yeah can only assume it was part of a fleet of test bikes for ride days etc. perhaps being so big, it never really had any pilots..

:cool: I had one of these (in Way Big).

I see you are already on the Proflex forum - I did a search there and found this:

"the Factory test models were giving to dealers to be used as a "try me out" bike."

haha..so I guess I have the village bicycle Orange!

Good thing no one in Jersey shore was over 6' tall!

some better pics..

I have removed and stored the reflectors and installed some eggbeaters so I can use it with my other shoes...I will be using this one..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 3,858
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 3,857
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 3,860
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 3,857
the tires where still new but a bit dry and cracked..so I picked up the EXACT ones NOS..you gotta love Ebay!

Attachments

• IMG01474-20110503-1007.JPG
    IMG01474-20110503-1007.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 3,678
wow! :shock: that does look minty fresh! hardly even a sign of wear on the chainrings, all looks to be original too, good to see another 857 and also to hear that it will be ridden as well :D

Would you believe the bike was on craigslist for $200 USD?..she said she would bring it to the bike store where she bought it new to have them pack it and ship it..

I suggested she bring it to the UPS store and have them pack and ship it instead.

It never would have left that bike store IMO..

Back