Orange Prestige, re issue.

Anthony":23iklwji said:
The geometry of a 93 frame is pretty much incompatible with running 100-120mm forks, but that's what the new Prestige is designed for. So I'd guess an RC31 would be too short and you really need to be looking at least at an RC39C, if not an RC40.

I think that would be a really great bike - but it wouldn't be an updated retro in style, but a completely contemporary bike with a high handlebar, much like a Cotic.

I tried a 100mm travel bike the other day, and it is my opinion that I neither ride hard or fast enough to warrant such a device. As you say, to buy a modern bike and build it up to ride how I like my bikes to ride is a silly thing to do. Hence I shall be building a modern twist on an older frame as my daily.

Thinking about it, the height of the bars is one of the defining characteristics of retro mtb.

A size medium Prestige from 93 had 380mm forks, 80mm head tube, zero-rise stem and flat bars. On a contemporary size medium it's going to be 480-500, 100, 10 deg rise and riser bars - so the handlebar is going to be six-seven inches higher off the ground than it was in retro times.

Whether that's good or bad is down to what kind of riding you want to do, but there's no denying it's a *huge* change in posture and riding style, considering saddle heights haven't changed.

My guess is that the head and hands-down posture of the retro years was just a transitional stage as riders migrated away from a roadie mentality, but nevertheless it still suits some of us. High bars just feel completely wrong to me.

Not quite, as the head tube angle and fork rake is also corrected. Theoretically if the geometry has properly been corrected, the top of the head tube will roughly be the same height on both bikes. The bar height is then only affected by your stem and bar choice.

Anthony":fa6znkr1 said:
Dear Paul

In private, rather than in public - please think again!

After correction, the head tube and steerer sit at 71 degrees now, just as they did in 1993. But what's underneath the steerer is enormously longer now than it was then - you only need to look at how much further away from the frame the tyre is on a modern bike.

OK, they're sitting at 71 degrees, but that doesn't make much difference - the top of a 100mm line at 19 degrees from vertical is 94mm up.

Trust me - I have a degree in maths!

Cheers

Anthony Young

Anthony was kind enough to send me this maths lesson, i thought others may benefit from his wisdom.

ededwards":3cjotl8a said:
And to think that I struggled to sell an original Prestige (albeit with tatty paint although no rust) for £40 posted earlier this year!

This is what makes me laugh about this whole retro thing. I know of three Prestige frames, original ones, that have been sold in the past 6 months and not one of them went for more than £40.

Pipped!

I 'lost' a 21" NOS Prestige 1" headtube on eBay tonight - it went for £160... Bit miffed - as I want an Orange in my cellar one day...

Mr K

Back