Roof Rack bike carrier question

I've got a Thule rack for the road bike - the type that you take the front wheel out and fix the fork dropouts in the carrier.
Used it several times down into France at 130kph type speeds - with no issues - apart from it being COVERED in dead insects!

Only snag is, I can't put the MTB in there as the Pace forks have dropouts bonded to carbon. Pace, and I would assume other manufacturers, do not recommend this type of carrier for their forks.

We've got a couple of Thule upright jobs for the roofrack. They're easy to use single-handed with the springloaded downtube clamps and seem very secure indeed. You can be tempted to over-tighten everything, which might mean the plastic fittings won't last as long as they might.

The only drawback is a noticeable drop in fuel economy (my car's pretty small so the increase in drag is big) and the distraction. You can't help trying to count the bikes in every shadow and reflection you cast, constantly checking the rear view mirror for bouncing bicycles.

Well seeing Andy use and mount my bike to the top of his car, I about to purchase some myself
:)

ProRide 591 and I think currently going cheaper from Sandicliffe on Amazon or their own website.

I have aging Thule, bike upright style, but hear good reports about Mont Blanc too. Whatever you get - do stop periodically to check everything is still secure :p

Back