england V croatia tonight

also glad too see the national stadium for our national game is used for American Football,
so the pitch is kept absolutely pristine for the biggest game England played in a while

the main problem as I see it is that the club has become more important than the country. All the money is in club football and if you asked where ultimately players' loyalty lay it would be with their club rather than their country. Becasue so much money is in the premiership it attracts the best players from around the world leaving only 40% of premiership players being from the home nations - some teams not even fielding a single home country player in the 11 a lot of the time (e.g. Arsenal). So yes you get good league football, but it leaves a poverty of english players playing at the highest level, such that when your Rooney's, Terry's etc get injured there is no depth of talent to replace them. That's not to say they're not out there, but they're down in the championship not being given the opportunity to develop their talent.

This will only change when a national academy gets set up (Burton), where foreign players are not chosen to such a great extent, and young english talent is developed from an early age and allowed to play at the highest levels.

good news, because the taffs, jocks, & micks are equally useless we're having a home nations tournament while the Euro cup goes on.. This will be much better....

Apparently it has already been agreed by Scotland, Wales, N ireland and Rep Ireland as the Celtic cup, and now England have failed to reach the Euro cup they're joining in too...

Thought they were putting off a decision until we knew if we were in the Euro or not, could be wrong... The guy that told me is normally right about these things though...

It was some pundits opinion I must admit - Chris Waddle or maybe one of the 5live Football experts (Mike Ingham or suchlike), opinions I trust, but they may be wrong too. Nobody but the FA knows I suppose!

I'd have thought UEFA would put a block on any such tournament, it's probably in the contract for the sides to enter Euro 08 that they cannot enter or setup another tournament during the same period,

Totally agree with the money thing, I used to be in sales and whilst the salary was pretty average, the bonuses were stupid so you made damn sure you hit your targets.

It galls me that our National Rugby team can win the World Cup one year and come second the next time round, but those guys get paid f**k all compared to the bunch of monkeys that dare to call themselves 'English' footballers. Wasters.

Salaries should be capped at club level and the only thing you should get for representing your country should be a swell of pride in your chest.

The most famous footie person i know is that 'head case' David Icke
enough said ;)
Football = yawn

Back