1992 GT Tequesta - wreck rescue!

:D Rob this is nice, have you thought about black bars and yellow grips rather than blue.

Also black rims would look lovely.

Passiflora :D

Not a fan of black anything really but I'll go with the seatpost.

Thinking about yellow grips, not sure yet.
Might go for gold bolts all over but I have just bought a full set of nice SS bolts for the whole bike which would be wasted really.

Black rims would be nice I suppose but again I would really have to go for skinwall tyres and new wheels to do that and I don't have the cash for that at the moment.

I absolutely love this bike now, I think it looks the business and it'll only get better!

looking good. i agree keep the rigid fork on it...looks awesome. plus one for a black seatpost, and it needs black ourys not blue :p

merckx":3lrgtbgw said:
looking good. i agree keep the rigid fork on it...looks awesome. plus one for a black seatpost, and it needs black ourys not blue :p

If you read the first post it gives the reasons for the blue bits and silver post.
Going to keep silver bars but black post and grips will be ordered soon. :)

This and several other cracking GTs are giving me the urge to build a second steel GT. I love these early 90s paint jobs.

I'm in a quandary again. :-D

Regular black grips OR
Regular yellow grips with black ends OR
Lockon black GT grips with yellow clamps OR
Lockon yellow GT grips with black clamps OR
Black ritchey grips (no tried them yet so might not like them)

Help!

i did read the first post. i still think it would look much better with black ourys :)

i run lock on pro grips on my bike. they are totally modern, but the convenience factor for me far outweighs the vintage factor.

Hmmm. Putting it together and the DiaCompe Hombre rear u brake just doesnt look right.
Need a shimano black one really. :-/

Ok, last update before I finish it I think.
I've already received loads of stuff through the post (including the longest ever seatpost - 400mm is huge!). I'm respraying some thumbies, polishing cranks (see below), touching up, cleaning, winning stuff on ebay (including some things I never thought I'd get at all!) and generally trying to get it finished...

Cranks that are going on...
6e9d491c.jpg

Tyres - I know not the original equipment but they look good and aren't blackwalls. I was able to afford these after buying 3 pairs and selling on 2 pairs on here (one pair went to the Zinn featured recently which will be perfect!).

a7bb1c5c.jpg

Anyway the aim is to get it close to the spec I had in 1992 but not having the blue grips and toe straps (have you ever tried getting blue toe straps - impossible!!) and going for black bars and seatpost. I am sticking with silver drivetrain as I hate black cranks - they always look scruffy.

I'm spending as much time sorting this bike out as someone might do with a Fat Chance or Merlin, but this is a bike which will mean a lot to me and I'll never sell it so I need to get it right, despite my daft small budget.

Anyway, keep a look out - I'll have much better pics of the full bike when it's done and you can all swoon in admiration at the gaudy zebra stripes and inspirational build spec. ;-) ;-)

Back