STX and STX RC

STX RC was just a slightly nicer groupset than STX and it's variants including STX SE; the precursor to STX RC in 1994.

Basically the finish, materials and details were a bit better on STX RC.
For example the rear mech cable is secured by a standard hexagonal nut on an STX rear mech (in common with cheaper mechs), whereas the STX RC cable clamp is an allen bolt. There is also a bit more pressed steel on the STX parts in general than on STX RC too.

Functionally they are both very similar, in that they are good reliable and dependable groupsets, on a par with modern Deore and Alivio parts.

As with all the Shimano stuff there are only minor, incremental changes as one goes through the groupsets one by one. It'll be a different bolt here, or a shinier finish there, which all adds up to nicer looking, lighter and eventually better performing components at the higher end of the range.
Sometimes the only real difference is the branding though.

It's the same story with most manufactured components whatever their application, cycling or otherwise.
A broad spread of product variations designed to meet different price points and customer expectations.

michael franks":djujl2rl said:
I think the 'fancy smoked finish' was called Chromica Bronze or something like that but it was available on STX as well.

indeed, i have a pair of STX 7spd wheels downstairs, but also some STX RCs in 8/9spd both in the same bronze finish.

from our very own resource centre lol

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=83004 STX

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=83001 STX-SE

and a really bad pic of the STX-RC
shimanostx-rc1995.jpg

mikeekim89 wrote:

I have a STX RC Groupset that's a 7Speed. With Original Pads Cool

It's very nice :)

No help though.. :LOL:

It helps to know who to give a shout when you need something
Is it on a bike?
Oh! and yes, it is very nice :D

STX MC30/31 and STX SE (Special Edition) MC30/31-CH first appeared in 1994. Both were 7 speed, with SE having shiney smokey grey surface finish and STX being mostly silver. Essentially though, apart from the front mech they were the same components, just with a different surface colour.

In 1995, STX SE was replaced by STX RC MC33 and ran alongside the slightly lower end but also slightly changed STX MC32. This year STX had the 'Cromica Bronze' surface finish on the hubs, brakes, mechs and outer chainring.
STX RC was silver and had more in the way of 'better quality' variations than STX. ie they no longer shared the same components in different colours.

This continued more or less unchanged in 1996 albiet with minor alterations to both groupset's cranksets, STI units and mechs. STX went to MC34 while STX RC introduced MC36.

In 1997 STX gained seperate rapidfire shifters and brake levers, and lost it's 'Cromica Bronze' finish instead going back to silver.
STX RC however saw several changes including the introduction of the 8 speed MC38 rear hub and MC38 rear mech. These were available alongside the older 7 speed option. There were also seperate shifter pods to accomodate the introduction of V-brake levers and a canti option too making the 1997 STX RC groupset options somewhat large.

In 1998 STX remained as a 7 speed only groupset until it was phased out the following year.
A pared down STX RC groupset got the new 4 arm chainset, was available as 8 speed only and both groupsets shared the new MC40 V-brakes and levers.
Cantis and 7 speed options had been dropped completely.

Both STX and STX RC were phased out at the end of 1999.

There are a few other interesting transitional changes which I could go into, but not everyone finds STX or Shimano M-numbers as interesting as I do...

i think that is as comprehensive an answer as we are ever likely to get on the subject.

cheers Paul :D

Oh and I think the RC stood for 'Race Class' or 'Race Category' or something.
Maybe 'Racing Components'...

Thanks for that Paul, Khane has just said what I'm thinking. And BTW Khane those cranks in your 'bad' picture really are shinnneeee!

Thanks for all the replies guys :D

drystonepaul":r7axnnty said:
STX MC30/31 and STX SE (Special Edition) MC30/31-CH first appeared in 1994. Both were 7 speed, with SE having shiney smokey grey surface finish and STX being mostly silver. Essentially though, apart from the front mech they were the same components, just with a different surface colour..

That's the one, SE. :cool:

Back