Keeping the wife happy

trickylad

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I want to get the wife into cycling. She's put up well with my tinkering in sheds but I want to get her and the kids out on the bikes together. She's up for it but:

-a doesn't have a steed
-b doesn't want to ride on the roads
-c is 8 months and 3 weeks pregnant

So - no rush - but i always like to have a plan.

Questions:

- best bike trailer for the newborn? Spokey Joe or burley bee?
- how do I choose a bike for her. It won't get used THAT much so a litespeed titanium might be overkill
- retro or modern?
- how much should I spend?
- best way to get her confidence up?

Obviously this all kicks in post labour and childbirth. No big air or endos before.

I've had a few offers on here from helpful members:

- Marin bear valley mint
- rockhopper pro

I'm a bit clueless - any advice welcome

TL
:cry:

Get her a bike that also fits you. So if she decides it's not working out you still win.

REKIBorter":1whf60n4 said:
Get her a bike that also fits you. So if she decides it's not working out you still win.

Now that's a plan but she's 5'4 and I'm 6'0

:evil:

i think i built my mrs a bike from spares, took her on some nice rides and banged on about it :LOL: and it worked

tell her its a good way to lose the baby belly?
general healthwill be good
take her to some nice places for gentle riding
easy gears are key!
softer the better - ultimate comfort, my mrs wasnt to happy with particular parts on some rides, not good (i hate riding blah blah blah :LOL: )
Dont spend too much of course
keep it simple
get a bash guerd (big one) to act as a trouser guard so she can wear what ever
comfy saddle, grips and tyres
weight shouldnt pose too much issue but not something that is a bso or a tractors weight :LOL: (most bikes considered)
i managed to get my mrs really involved by getting her to buy her own parts (as i couldnt afford hers aswell), spotting bargains, colour coding it for her then showing her what ot does, where it goes etc. (if your lucky, she only shows an interest sometimes :LOL: )
teach her some basics
talk to her lots while riding
tweak the seat/height/bar height etc. with her input for best results

All good quality advice there ^

Pretty much exactly what I've done to get the missus involved.

i bought my wife a pink marin bear valley and a pink flowery giro helmet,coz she is the pink flowery sort, also proper ladies cycling shorts a comfy saddle and a well set up bike with an upright position on the bike, you carry baby and all the tools, and a nice pub for food on route is always a good incentive too, oh and ride slow ;)

Get her the best bike you can! that way you can do the same as me and when she gets pregnant again, sell them to buy yourself new trinkets!

Average Mark":2z8ykztr said:
Get her the best bike you can! that way you can do the same as me and when she gets pregnant again, sell them to buy yourself new trinkets!

ha ha - love that

trickylad":n9n68wb3 said:
REKIBorter":n9n68wb3 said:

Now that's a plan but she's 5'4 and I'm 6'0

:evil:

Tell her she will grow into it

Back