Spokes.... advice please!

Will Palmer

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Looking for facts and opinions.

I'm looking shortly to build what has been since I discovered the components my ideal wheelset for my '93 Cinder Cone. White Industries 32h Hubs and Mavic 261 Ceramic Rims with red nips.

I used to have a snowflaked front and standard spoked rear, but I'm looking for opinions/advice as to what spoke configurations (Std, Radial, snowflake etc.) I can acheive with these components and what people think I should have to look great and be strong!!!

Often wondered also, are red spokes available, and if they are is it a step too far to use them? My thoughts are that it would be.

Cheers
Will

Facts and opinions...

Fact - if you are willing to make the calculations and spend the time, you can use any combination of spokes.
Opinion 1 - 3X rear (maybe 3X drive, 2X non-drive) and 3X or 2X front are the only sensible choices if you value your hub flanges.
Opinion 2 - Snowflaking is structurally pointless - and tells the cycling world in general that you are a poser with an eye for form over function.
Opinion 3 - Alloy nipples are not to be recommended, particularly on the drive side of your rear wheel. If you MUST use them, make sure you use liberal quantities of anti-seize if you want to be able to adjust them.

Fact
Red spokes have never been widely available - but you could paint them.
Opinion
You don't want to. Really you don't.

coloured spokes are available but only in BMX sizes at the moment...
demo_spokes.jpg

Back