1986 Tour de France Compilation Channel 4

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
ok, the last one for me that i think says it all -

fabulous riders, so many potential winners (not just lance!)great colours, gorgeous bikes, innovations, music and the fabulously muffled tachyverbal phil liggett! no crystal clear digital post production sterility in 1986...

..it was all OAKLEY, LOOK, LA VIE CLAIRE and of course BERNARD HINAULT!! go get him Greg!! tension and totally gripping all the way - thanks phil for being at the centre of it!! priceless reporting :D

LUVVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT!!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccyOzaf7 ... re=related

rusty bodie":2zwjnis8 said:
ok, the last one for me that i think says it all -

fabulous riders, so many potential winners (not just lance!)great colours, gorgeous bikes, innovations, music and the fabulously muffled tachyverbal phil liggett! no crystal clear digital post production sterility in 1986...

..it was all OAKLEY, LOOK, LA VIE CLAIRE and of course BERNARD HINAULT!! go get him Greg!! tension and totally gripping all the way - thanks phil for being at the centre of it!! priceless reporting :D

LUVVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT!!!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccyOzaf7 ... re=related

Oh my God, from the first couple of notes of that unforgettable music I was taken back 25 YEARS!!! I remembered virtually every single second - Lammerdink's crash, Fignon in the helicopter, Lemond and Hinault together at Alp d'Huez, even the 'bunny hoppers'!

Was it really that long ago.................................. :oops: :shock:

yes it really IS that long ago!! lol

i remember every bit of footage and indeed was
lucky enough to get all of channel 4's tour de france
programmes on vhs some time ago! i bring it out every
spring to get motivated for the bike and it never fails!
i got laughed at by some modern bike rider with a black
oversized ugly frame and big deep v section rims..

he laughed at my downtube shifters..

i laughed at his whole bike - hideous, utterly hideous!
i pitied him that he didn't know about cycle racing in the 80s..

:cool:

That is so good. Even the non cycling details are perfect - bloke playing violin out of the sunroof of a Peugeot to the peloton, glimpse of sexy French lass's thigh, ten year old girl drinking what seems to be a can of McEwan's export, wall to wall sunshine, and last but not least - YELLOW HEADLAMPS! Vive la France!

The actual shots of the racing are terrifying - blokes on steel frames not a million miles away from my own pulling the kind of ridiculous speeds I can only dream about, with a look of mild boredom on their faces. Brilliant.

LOL yellow headlamps indeed!! i was so into the whole thing that i even fitted a pair of genuine lucas headlamp bulbs to my ancient renault 5! they were rubbish at illuminating the road ahead and so i went everywhere with the full beams on!! :shock:

ok, irresponsible and a tad eccentric perhaps. :oops:

hee hee!!

VIVE LE RETRO!! :twisted:

FANTASTIC!!!

I've just stood watching that in my kitchen with goose bumps, being transported back to my earliest memories of cycling...

As Old Ned said, as soon as the music started...

Thank you so much for posting that. It's made my evening (actually, my week!)

lol it's just great to know that i'm not the only one out there who still thinks about this fabulous era in cycling! glad you enjoyed it too

rusty :)

Back