Help me respec the Bontrager, controls, fork.

Geoff

Senior Retro Guru
Sorry to duplicate, I just figured this forum got more views than the other one...

Got this recently:

I need some help on what to do with it though. At the moment the steering doesn't feel right to me at all. I think the long stem combined with the low rise and flat, narrow bars is putting too much weight too far forward. I can't really go for a shorter stem cos I think I'll run out of room (well, maybe I could go a little bit shorter), so would a similar length with more rise and wider bars help? Either that or keep the stem and fit risers but I think that would look a bit wrong.

Also I'm going to need a rigid fork I think. Whoever owned this prior to me attacked the fork brace in order to allow the V-brakes to clear it, and even then they won't really clear it. So suggestions for a suitable 1" threaded fork please!

Hi Geoff, that stem looks waaaay long, 150mm?. I'd fit 135mm with a bit of rise, 580mm flat bars and a seatpost with a bit of layback to keep your cockpit length about the same.

as for the forks, you need to space out the brakes from the bosses, Manitou used to do a kit with thicker spacers but some washers behind the standard ones should do the trick.

hope this helps, Kev

Washers eh? That's an easy fix then! :) Just wish the other person had known instead of cutting bits out of the brace...

The stem is waaaay too long, it's like trying to steer a bus! I might try 135mm with some rise and without a layback seatpost to start with, then maybe if need be get a layback post.

150mm stem = "Tiller steering".

I'd go 120mm or possibly even shorter rather than 130.

As for forks... Bonty or Tange Switchblade is the obvious rigid choice - they do come up for sale sometimes as do Pace RC30's.

Suspension... find some old Marzocchi Bomber Z2's on which the steerer can be replaced - the best performing retro fork even if it is a little new for period authenticity.

yoldtv.jpg

Ok well first things first will be the stem, I can't ride it much like that!

As to the forks, agreed about the bombers, I have a set on my Kona, but they weigh a fair bit and since this is going to be a commuter I might look for some rigids instead. Will have to keep ebay eyes peeled.

It will have the suspension corrected Geo. I wouldn't put rigids on. If you do you'll need more rise in the stem.

To be honest the position of the bars in relation to the saddle (relative height) looks somewhere between a little high (the bars) to OK. Assuming the saddle is adjusted for you of course. I wouldn't have the bars higher than the saddle - You need a bigger frame :idea:

They were specced with RS Mags at the time

Crell":36ls620f said:
It will have the suspension corrected Geo. I wouldn't put rigids on.

They were specced with RS Mags at the time
1. agreed
2. judy's (privateer comp & S:quadra21r, privateer: tig unicrown)

WOW - that is a seriously long stem.... it just shows how peoples riding styles differ - the previous owner obviously got on with that setup... one assumes!

Bonty

Have a '96 Bontrager Race myself and am thinking of putting a modern twist on it(shock,horror!)Been thinking of some MX pros if i can find any old 1" threadless around.Just been wondering,will the 80mm travel affect the geometry too much? What do you think? Considering swapping some bits around to new XT.Thinkin i can throw it around i a bit more without worrying bout damaging those precious retro items!
Thanx Max

Back