First build - Kona Hahanna 96

Stripped!

Ok, next step completed: The bike is totally stripped and ready to be sandbalsted and painted :cool: My first choice is have them paint it with the same colour, light gold, if it's not too expensive. Plan B is plain white. Fork, stem, saddle and handlebar will all be black so either main colour is OK for me but I'd like to keep an original breeze about.

The stripping process was about as painful as I expected. Most of the parts came of easy but as I told before the saddle was a bit of a wrestling match. The real challenge was, BB which was totally stuck. Fortunately I got lucky when I called the nearest shop for advice. They told me that during spring most shops only take their own bikes for maintenance but that I should call this guy The Bikedoctor, or "Pyörätohtori" in Finnish. Big thanks for him, (iso kiitos hänelle)! It took him about 5 minutes to rip the BB out. After that I was afraid I would have to buy a large wrench to get the top screw of the headset but lucky again: plain armgrip was enough! Everything else went nicely and this is how the bike lays now, take a good last glimpse of the original look! The most I hate losing the cool "Race Light" tag, I think it's the best looking tag in the bike! Hope I find similiar sticker/decal somewhere down the line.

main.php

main.php

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum
The stripping process also gave me a good overall picture of what will be done, so here is a component list and what's gonna happen with each of them.

[b]Fork[/b] New rigid, old is too short for all-mountain stem. Probably something like Gusset Jury: [url=http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17745]http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=17745[/url]
[b]Crankarms[/b] Originals
[b]Chainrings[/b] The original 34, the other two rings will go
[b]B/B[/b] TBD
[b]Pedals[/b] TBD
[b]Chain[/b] TBD
[b]Derailleurs, shifters[/b] Will be single speed so no derailleurs. RD will become chain tensioner, I'm guessing it'll look quite hardcore!
[b]Brakesets[/b] Shimano V-brakes for starters, maybe BB7's in the future
[b]Headset[/b] TBD
[b]Handlebar[/b] Kona XC/BC Riser
[b]Stem[/b] Gravity GAP OS
[b]Seatpost, clamp[/b] Original
[b]Grips[/b] TBD
[b]Saddle[/b] WTB Speed V Sport SE
[b]Hubs, spokes, rims[/b] Original
[b]Tires[/b] WTB Prowler MX Tyre - 26 x 2.1 Folding Black, if they fit!

Phew, lotta text and lots to do, I'll post you again as the frame gets back from painters! :)

I really like the original paint, seems a shame to lose it and repaint it.

If you do repaint it I'd personally go for something different then white as a back up. There's sooooo many of them on here, go for something to make yours stand out.

Gil_m on here can sort some new decals. Should be able to do the "race light" one too.

Hey cool! Cheers for the tip, I'll pm him! :cool:

Just came back from painters and I went with the white. I know it's pretty ordinary but I figured it's a safe bet for my first build as it won't make the color schemes too complicated. Also it won't stand out too much as this will be my drive everywhere-bike and it would suck to get it stolen. But I did get great ideas for some future projects at painters, they'll be a bit more special than this one but that's all in the future :)

Ok, still waiting for most of the parts but I already got the frame back and the first CRC delivery also arrived. The delivery included tyres, pedal wrench and my ”Rescue Kit” (more on that later). The frame was nice, excatly what I wished and when I get the stickers and parts to it I think it's gonna look better than ”a white frame” leads to expect :cool:.
Today I washed the frame, removed the last pieces of rust from BB shell, rims and seat tube and cleaned the chain (!). Boy that was probably the most boring two hours of this project but I'm glad I did it! Although next time when I take my bike to shop I'll gladly pay the extra few bucks for them to scrub it clean all over :D. I also got the tyres installed, which was suprisingly easy as I had read that folding tyres could be a pain to get over the rim. Can't wait to get to test them, they've been doing nicely with the
reviews and happened to be on a good sale at CRC :)

Oh, and the rescue kit! This is something that's gonna make my riding SO much more enjoyble! When I was browsing through web I stumbled across one of these. At first I didn't think I needed it but then I started thinking that it would be so cool not to have to always drag my backpack with me for cellphone, tire fix-kit, pump, keys etc. So I went ahead and ordered the largest one. Just fitted it and it swallows up even more stuff than I thought! Haven't ridden with it yet (still quite snowy and icy here up north) but it seems to be exactly what Topeak promises.

Can't wait for the rest of the parts to arrive...and a real spring would also be nice, how 'bout it weather gods ;)!

main.php

main.php

Yeehaa! First parts are installed!

A last I got to attack the best part of the project: the build-up! :D

I got a little carried away and ordered all the parts during last two weeks. Now there are enough boxes at our house to fake a mini move as a april-first-prank :) Anyway, big shoutout to Gil_M for the stickers, awesome quality, I just Love 'em! The installation of headset, fork, BB and cranks was a hell but I got it done! Crown race was almost impossible to smash into the fork. Finally the hairdryer we have bought paid itself back! I warmed the crown race as hot as possible and it slipped right into its place. A photo of today's work. Enjoy :cool:

main.php

Finally ready! I had to take some pics but it was a little bit dark. Maybe gonna snap some more tomorrow but here are the forst one's :cool:

main.php

main.php

Final specs:

Frame Kona Hahanna '96
Fork Gusset Jury SL
Headset Cane Creek S3
Stem Gravity Gap OS
Handlebar Kona XC/BC Riser
Grips Kona Race Light
Brakes Shimano Deore
Brake Cables Shimano Deore
Brake Levers Shimano Deore 1,5 fing