al

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi all,

Have any of you come across powdercoat in chrome effect?

Just wondering how good it looks, before deciding if it would be a good idea or not.

Cheers,Al

Chrome itelf is also absolutely hopeless - it's porous and thus the water gets through and rusts the steel underneath.

You can get a 'near chrome' paint finish :)

Could get it nickel plated if you've got a big wallet :D

Chrome is porous, thats why a reputable platers will plate with copper (?) first and then chrome after. good quality will last donkeys years. prep work is the real bugbear though, time invested will be rewarded later!

Hi,thanks to you all for your input.

The reasons for using a paint finish instead of chrome plating are realy for environmental reasons. Its a very poluting process and in my experiance chips and rusts easily.

I have seen a powdercoat finish but not on a bike frame.

The thing is i dont like to show i have tried too hard! And a real chromium finish is just a bit dare i say seventies road forks. :roll:

Cheers,Al :)

al":1hso2d4i said:
Hi,thanks to you all for your input.

The reasons for using a paint finish instead of chrome plating are realy for environmental reasons. Its a very poluting process and in my experiance chips and rusts easily.

Paint isnt much better for the environment either unless you are going water based and thats about as durable as wrapping your bike in bog roll :LOL:

To be honest if "the environment" is such a big concern why not just leave it as it is? No harmful chemicals required.. If your going to be a hypocirte you might as well go the full length of the field and get it acid etched, galvanized then nickel plated ;)

Back