1987 Raleigh 531c 'Race'

Re: Simular Bike

montez":2s43y5wg said:
I think I have the same bike as this, where did you find the information about yours, cannot find it in any catalogues?

Here is my bike

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... e42dde4bbd
Hi, yours is called the "531c Luxe" and is the next frame up in the range. It's in the 1987 Raleigh framesets catalogue, here is the description:

"Introduced in response to the demand for alternative components on our standard 531C frameset, the luxe version features a cast bottom bracket, Bocama Professional luxe head lugs and cast seat lug. The fork crown is also precision cast, with internal tangs giving a smooth line to the fork. The blades are from the 531 Pro set as are the backstays, and Italian forged frame and fork ends (without eyes) are fitted."

In other words, nice! :D

toomski":1rbp0dao said:
If that was my bike

First thought was I would spray pearlescent white.

Funny you should say that as due to another project http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 63#1043163 I had to sell this Raleigh, it broke my heart but needs must. It's gone to a good home, my cousin was hassling me for it so he's got it now and it's currently at Argos being resprayed in...... pearlescent white! He's keeping pretty much everything as he wants to keep it original, when he's completed it I'll post a photo on here :D

Cheers for that, always knew the frame was a little bit special, have been riding it daily since I snapped my 853 rsp :( just saving up to get the frame fixed, but its going to be expensive as its the seat tube and it is all air hardened TIG welded.

I picked one of these up yesterday in a charity shop - same yellow/white fade paint job, Go'D stickers and everything.
Well, apart from the groupo.
My new steed has Campag triomphe/Victory throughout.
Largely mint beneath a layer of oil and dust.
One front brake block mising and a puntured front tyre (now sorted).

any idea where I might get a replacement? I've already check ebay.

also bought a Raleigh record Ace at the same time with Shimano 600ex drivetrain.

talk about lucky day...

(still jealous of the 600 ticolour, mind)

Raleigh

really liking that a lot, I have an earlier Road Ace, all Shimano 600 AX groupset, struggling to match the ice blue pearl paint for touching in, but getting there... :D

Attachments

• DSCF0388.jpg
    DSCF0388.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 6,762
  • DSCF0389.jpg
    DSCF0389.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 6,762
I really like it as it is. Can you touch up the paint to keep it origional?

Don't think the bar tape does it any favors though, I prefer plain, single colour tape, but that's maybe just me.

Very nice though: The white and yellow is very vibrant. I'm sure its a 'stand out bike' amongst others.

I see there's a few bikes on here at the moment with the 'GO(V)D' decal on the seat-tube; what does it signify?

I liked it as it was and was also contemplating touching it up but the new owner (my cousin) has had it sprayed by Argos in pearl white - I've seen the frame and it looks very nice and fresh. When it's built I'll get a picture posted on here, it's going to be raced in anger this year to wind up the guys on carbon.....

The G.O.D. decal stands for Gerald O'Donovan who was in charge of the Raleigh lightweight division, a true legend. :cool:

Back