tour of Flanders

Fantastic

That sounds brilliant!
What a great weekend it must have been.
Watched on telly but would have prefered to go.
Thanks for the write up.
Jamie

Any other Retrobikers interested in this or Paris-Roubaix next year?

Flanders

All sorts of shapes and sizes do it,some fast, some slower ,as long as you finish by 7pm.
You effectively have all day.
Some climbs are tough , but most are short and sharp.
There's always walking up them but cobbles are an experience we should all suffer

Hmmm, that's interesting, I always assumed you'd have to be super-fit to take on that kind of thing.

I couldn't commit to anything at the moment due to work, but next year is a different matter: I'd love to do something like that.

Well done for doing it though.

flanders

roubaix is a whole different ball game , according to the veterans who have done both.'The hardest thing you'll ever do' they said.
Not many want to do it again

Perversely, I'd be tempted by Roubaix next year - the VC Roubaix 'proper' cyclo, not the concocted ASO "Roubaix-lite" version - I now know why I've never got round to removing the 32mm 'cross tubs from my Gios! Having ridden Flanders a couple of times before I first rode P-Rx I was shocked at the severity - after I screwed my bottle cages back on!

According to the news here there were 20,000 people doing the route,
including 4,000 who did the full 250km :shock:

It was a great atmosphere, very relaxed. I wish they could sort out the
crowds on the big climbs a bit better, but I guess it's a nightmare with so
many people.

And about 600,000 turned out for the professional race on Sunday. I could only watch on TV but it was a brilliant edition. Kind of felt Chavanel
or Gilbert deserved a win, but a real thriller nevertheless.

In May there's a sportive called the Golden Flandrien which involves
climbing all 25 of the official climbs in one go. Anyone fancy having a go at that? :D

There's also the Retro Ronde in June - an altogether more sedate affair.

Johnny

Back