Another zaskar build. 91 ? Stripped but not dead

ZASKARS

ahh heaven really is a place on earth, and its populated with Zaskars.

what more could you ask for, off to shine my frame again

merckx":mhbk9cxa said:
Think that one is a little too much yeah. but yellow saddle yellow grips does look really good, i like kirbdugs execution of such... see link

His is EVEN more yellow.
Anyway I was just playing about, seat and stem are heading for my
Backwoods (which will be VERY colourful). :D

I was aiming for something like this (where is it GT by the way ????).

%281+of+2%29.jpg

If My bike is a 91\92 zaskar then what decals would it have had ?

Big zaskar on downtube with small gt on top tube ?

Any pictures ?

on the decals GIL's your man, pm him he sent me 91 & 92 decals proofs which reminds me I still need to order.

91 has "GT Triple Triangle" on the seat stays, models after this time seem to "competition series" on the stays

91 also has a more angular font in "GT all terra" on the top tube.

pm with your email and forward you the proofs

my frames number as a 1990 and it's definitely a 26.8 dia seat post

cheers

I stuck a modern Deore front mech on until my m735 xt one arrived and took the zaskar out for it's first hurl on friday night.

Not bad :)

Nice quick bike already so once I've got the hanger fixed on permanently and it's new longer forks fitted then I'll have a swap about with some stuff and see what I can do to lighten it a bit.

We shouldn't have bothered going out though as it turns out :( Same reason I didn't get any photo's of the zaskar with my wifes Trek 8500.

We got to a point in the trail with a nadgery step up, step down and I shouted to my wife to go around the easy way.

As soon as I'd done the step up part I heard a clatter off to my right and feared the worst. My wife had come off of her bike and hit the deck hard, face first ( with helmet on ).

When I got down to her she was stuck in the bike and already very incoherent but conscious and with a very gravel rashed face. In the state she was in it was hard to get out of her where was actually hurt so I proceeded cautiously to untangle her from the bike.

I managed to walk her around to the visitor centre for the country park we were in and the ranger let me get her in and washed up whilst I contacted her Dad to come and get her and the bike and take her to hospital. I belted back home and met them at the hospital after dumping the Zaskar and grabbing the poor wee Peugeot.

A whole 10 hours in A + E on a friday night on april fools later and I was home albeit with a very swollen, scratched and bruised faced wife still back at the hospital being monitored before she was allowed to come home.

She's back home now and isn't looking too bad considering how she looked on the way to the hospital. Panic over :)

Sorry for the long post but in a way it is part of the zaskars build story as it happened on it's first ride with me.

My wife is recovering nicely so any time she naps or doesn't need me I've been off out to the garage to get a wee shine on the zaskar and fit it's new front mech.

I've got some forks with curved legs coming so they'll be next to go on then I'll do something about the hanger situation.

If the hanger works out like I want it to then I'll get the decals for the frame. Gmac123 sent me the proofs to have the graphics made up.

Here's a few updated photos

100_0509.jpg

100_0510.jpg

100_0511.jpg

100_0512.jpg

100_0513.jpg

Hope your wife is back to full health soon mate. :)

I must ask you - is that REALLY the frame I sold you? Obviously it is - but I'd like to say I am so glad you bought it as you've done exactly what I hoped for - restored it to an excellent standard and riding it too. I was worried it might go to someone who might run it into the ground as a SS pub bike or something.

This is a true wreck rescue - if that frame had been any worse it wouldn't have been worth saving, so hats off to you sir!!
Remember everyone - I rescued this from a scrap yard and it was minutes from being crushed into a cube. There were crappy rusty bits of metal (supposed to be mechs!) hanging off it and I wasn't sure if it was worth putting in the car, especially after I had to empty a pint of water out of the frame before I did so. :-/

On the pavement a few minutes after dragging it off the site:
2b9faa86.jpg

If you put this in for BOTM I'll vote for it no problem!

How's the rear brake? Not tried it on my bike yet and was wondering how well it worked.

Thanks Rob,

Wifes getting better. We're off work next week so she'll have plenty more time to rest if need be.

The zaskar is starting to look like a shadow of it's former self going by that photo you've put up and the ones you sent me.

The rear brake has a good bit of flex\modulation that I dont remember the older Shimano u-brakes having. I've stuck modern v-brake pads on it too so that probably helps.

I'm going to get a pair of those Onza Porcupines I mentioned to you and some GT grips. I've seen both on ebay.

I can't wait to get the hanger repaired. I pm'd Mikee, a member on here not far from me and he reckons with the tooling he has he can sort something out.

When I was raking for something car related in the garage earlier I found a pair of DX levers and sti's to replace the tired ( not tired really as both sides have had new gear lever pods fitted recently but the brake levers have very little black left on them ) ones currently fitted.

I'll get new photos up when the new forks and black headset :) arrive and I've fitted them.

Quick update.

New tyres and grips fitted.

Still waiting on forks and a black headset. I'm also going to get a number 15 hanger (original GT 2 bolt ) from Wheels manufacturing and get that fitted rather than the random hanger on it just now.

Decals will hopefully be the last part. Maybe :LOL:

100_0524.jpg

100_0527.jpg

100_0526.jpg

Back