Rim Cement

fiks

Retro Guru
I wonder if anybody's used Clement white rim cement before?

clementwhiterimcementfr.jpg

clementwhiterimcementba.jpg

The glue that comes out is mainly dark brown and clear., but there also a blob which is solid white. I suspect originally the glue was all white and it has since separated.

It's also quite thick and awkward to spread out on the rim. I think the tube is quite old and has dried out a bit. The next time I use it I think I'll thin it a bit with white spirits, and mix the different cloloured bits together.

Anyway here's the result:

corsacxthailand.jpg

I would have thought white spirits could destroy the rubbery glue which holds the base tape to the tyre.

The tube says "contains trichloroethylene", which I would guess is the glue's solvent. So I suppose that would be the ideal thing to use for thinning. Not sure if you can easily get it.

I don't know if trichloroethylene dissolves rubber or latex, but if it does then I suppose it would evaporate before it affects anything.

Trichloroethylene is extremely volatile, virtually banned I think. I used cheap cellulose thinners years ago, to soften anything on the rim and make it adhesive again. I used a water based pure latex on the base tape if it was a very light tyre with a bare cotton tape. My favourite tubulars were clement 6 ounce green label silks with a road tread. On an 8 ounce rim too, and then I was only trying to make up for old age, this was thirty years ago.
I recently blagged some gunwash from our local old fashioned one man car body repairer who still uses cellulose, took a jam jar with a good seal.

Back