Retro cars?

Very nice mk2.
The stance is just right. Can i say that I prefer the bottom pic by a long way. The lights and indicators are more in keeping with the car, in a classier way.
Mk2's just don't need to try when they're lowered on RM's or RS's.
Are yours, RM's in 8 x 15?

Just done a heater matrix today, on a mk2 I'm borrowing (because I wrote mine off last Sunday on my way to Gisburn forest).
What a horrible job!

It's an interesting point that you make regarding mountain biking and VW's. I've been notcing it for years. I can only put it down to an appreciation of a good working tool and the strange obsession we have with tinkering and tuning. We all have a definate interest in the way our machines operate and how to make them better.

We'll need a retro VW thread at this rate.

Benandemu":w31ug8kw said:
Very nice mk2.
The stance is just right. Can i say that I prefer the bottom pic by a long way. The lights and indicators are more in keeping with the car, in a classier way.
Mk2's just don't need to try when they're lowered on RM's or RS's.
Are yours, RM's in 8 x 15?

Just done a heater matrix today, on a mk2 I'm borrowing (because I wrote mine off last Sunday on my way to Gisburn forest).
What a horrible job!

It's an interesting point that you make regarding mountain biking and VW's. I've been notcing it for years. I can only put it down to an appreciation of a good working tool and the strange obsession we have with tinkering and tuning. We all have a definate interest in the way our machines operate and how to make them better.

We'll need a retro VW thread at this rate.

I know what you mean about the lights. Sometimes I prefer the old ones, sometimes the new. I've not chucked anything away yet, so I can always put them back!

The rims are 8x15 et 14. They're fully polished so they're currently in the shed to protect them from the grit and salt. Got some matt black 5 spokes on at the mo. Weirdly I quite like it that way...

When you have removed the centre console and all the under side of the dash and de-connected the heater pipes and vents, you will fid a heater and blower unit.
At this point, you will have lost at least one knuckle, and will have spent most of your time upside down, for over 2 hours.
Then you disconnect the water pipes from the engine that go through the firewall, and unbolt the heater unit from the inside of the engine bay, as it bolts through the bulkhead.
After this you will find a small radiator type unit that is full of water and Radweld (previous owners mistake, and should never be used in a mk2).
Then reverse process. NOT AS EASY-TRUST ME!
It is a radiator that sits upstream of the blower which pushes the heat into the car.
Essential in this weather, and horrible to do, as you can now imagine.

oh, ok---its called the heater core over here--i can identify with your grief in changing one---some are easy but most are not and the MK2 sounds like a NOT

After trying to change one in a mk3 I came to the conclusion when they build the car one of two things position the heater, either

i/ They suspend a heater by a piece of string in the centre of a room and assemble the rest of the car around it

or

ii/ They assemble the car then insert a "heater matrix seed" in the darkest depths of the dash and then water it and keep it warm - when fully grown they connect the pipes

:)

The last one I changed was on my BMW 635CSi, thank god my wife was there, her hands are small enough to get to it without removing half the dash! It is one of those trapped inside a box. But at least BMW are sensible enough to give you a nice inspection hatch to work through, which is easy to get to once the centre console is out.

Just sold my 69 type 3 squareback and bought a mk2 golf gti, in OZ the mk2's are rare as hens teeth, they only imported 286 of them, unfortunately
they are all 5 door.

Back