My 1936 Mercury Clunker retro-mod

ijeremy":3gvhffgq said:
Too cool, so curious what that thing rides like off road!
Tankish, just choose a line, good or bad it plows through. The slack headangle and low bottom bracket give it great predictable handling. Running big tires at low pressure along with the Brooks saddle make it super smooth. I normally ride an Ellsworth Epiphany so when I say smooth that is what I am comparing to. She won't win any races but you would be hard pressed to find a bike that is more comfortable on all day rides.

IMG_2346.jpg

Wow, look at that, fillet brazing avant la lettre!
Very nice build, this looks amazing :D

Lots of guys had expressed some interest in the cranks I used on this bike. They are Electra Ticino's. I had an issue with them, the square taper interface seems to have been milled unevenly. When the drive side crank spins you can see a slight wobble. At first I thought I had bent the bottom bracket spindle but I installed the crank on another bike and it did the same thing. I contacted Electra and they are sending me another crank free of charge and a box to put the old one in to ship back. Beyond that the crank is good quality and pretty stiff.

I have reached another stage in the evolution of this bike. A forum member had a nice fork with a 1 inch steerer. Pretty hard to come by these days. I just had to give it a try. I used a 31.6 mm seatpost clamp for the drum brake and it worked perfectly. I don't think I ever seen another bike with a suspension fork and a drum brake up front.
IMG_4831.jpg

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4838.jpg

Back